cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterprise Process Names and Functions

tim_d_jordan
Level 4

Can anyone point me to a list of all of the EV process names and the function that they perform

i.e.

EVConverterSandbox

EVFSAArchivingTask

EVFileScrArcMngr

ArchiveTask

etc.

Thanks

Tim

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

oh and if you right click the properties of the EXE file and go to the Version tab, you can then click "Comments" and it will tell you exactly what it does

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

JesusWept3
Level 6

EVConverterSandbox
Converts emails, attachments, documents etc, anything that EV Archives as it is being turned in to a DVS or DVSSP and converts it from something like an email format, or Word Document or Excel etc in to either HTML or Text

The HTML or Text conversion is used by the Indexing engine to add certain elements to the indexes and also is used by previews through CA/DA or Archive Explorer or Search.asp to show the message without having to open the file in Outlook

EVFSAArchivingTask
Its the FSA Archiving task

EVFileScrArcMngr
This should be the file screen software, i.e you want to stop people placing MP3 files on file shares, this should interrupt windows and show an error the user that you cannot store this type of file, the functionality was taken from Vertas Storage Exec

ArchiveTask
Its the Exchange archiving task

JesusWept3
Level 6

oh and if you right click the properties of the EXE file and go to the Version tab, you can then click "Comments" and it will tell you exactly what it does

tim_d_jordan
Level 4

Great thanks very much that is brilliant

Shame this is not in the main documentation

Tim

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Tim,

It's interesting that you say that it would be good if this is in the documentation.  Can I ask why?  I have my own ideas of why someone would want to know this information, but it would be good to hear from someone like yourself about why it's needed.

Also consider if you flip this over the fence to say IIS...  is it documented anywhere what the process names are for IIS?

I'm just curious ...

Working for cloudficient.com

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

i recently had a customer ask to do firewall rules based on EV process names. i've also seen customers do AV exclusions by process name. however, i don't know how common these practices are but you asked so....

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

There is this that is pretty helpful.  It needs a bit of updating but most of the processes are there.

List of DTrace processes and descriptions of each process responsibility.

Article: TECH129595  |  Created: 2010-01-04  |  Updated: 2010-09-24  | 

Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH129595

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

that's a pretty good article. ill reach out to TFE and see if they can update it.

tim_d_jordan
Level 4

I work in a geographically dispersed team or about 20 people. We run a 24/7 operation. I am the contact point for EV in the organisation. I have written all of the internal documentation for the team which covers of the basics of our setup, but it is always useful to expand on this. I also have to field specific questions about what a high cpu process is actually doing.

For a documentation suggestion I would like to see some flow charts which track an unarchived item all the way through to an archived one with all of the processes involved and what they are doing to it on it's journey, and again the same for a recall of an archived item.

In the IIS comparison I would be asking MS the same question showing how a request is handled end to end

Tim