cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterprise Vault 2007 - archiving issues

helpdesk101
Level 3

Hi

We are having an issue with Enterprise Vault whereby some users are still getting notifications to say their exchange mailbox has reached capacity, even though they have the EV outlook addin installed. When users try to manually store emails in the archive, an icon appears beside said emails, and after checking extensively I have found this icon to mean that the emails are 'scheduled to be stored' in the vault. These emails stay like this no matter how long left. One of the mailboxes being troubleshooted has emails scheduled for past 3 months.

We cannot see what would be stopping these emails from being stored. There is space on the evault server, and we are not seeing any errors, or cannot see anywhere on EVault server to try troubleshoot why its working correctly.

Enterprise Vault 2007 - v7.5

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks,

Barry

9 REPLIES 9

helpdesk101
Level 3

Apologies for double post, I should have added that, the mailboxes in question, have previously archived emails fine. So the mailbox is showing up on the EV console, but its just that the last archived item in the index voumes tab of the mailbox properties in the EV console, shows the last email archived was a few months back. As I said, my first throught was that it was running out of space, hence why these emails were' queuing' to be scheduled, as it was previously working fine for these mailboxes. But there is plenty of space on the server.

thanks again,

Barry

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
If a user is at or over quota then EV cannot perform the operations it needs to in order to archive items correctly, they either need to temporarily move items to a PST files or delete items they don't want, then try again If you were using EV8 then I would have suggested using virtual vault, but in this scenario I would suggest tailoring your approaching quota warning to advise them to archive immediately to avoid this situation in the future
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

helpdesk101
Level 3

Hi JesusWept2, thanks for the reply.

As far as I can see, there is no quota set in EV. I checked on the affected mailboxes, and the 'limit archive usage' setting is set to 'Use site setting'. And the Inherited site limit is disabled. Is that what you are referring to?

If its their exchange mailbox quota you are referring to, then the problem still exists, that it should not be reaching anywhere near their mailbox quota, as it should be archiving the items beforehand. But one of the mailboxes that is also showing items awaiting archiving, I just checked there, is no where near its limit. Its actually less than half its exchange quota, so that cant be the problem i would think?

thanks,

Barry

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Sorry, I thought the user was over quota because you said they had gotten notifications about being at capaciy for their mailbox EV may not always stop a user from going over quota because emails still have to match specific rules such as age and being read and being the correct message class in order to be archived, so if you have a huge influx of new email, it won't be eligible and you'd go over quota If you don't archive calendar items and the calendar keeps growing and growing, you will go over quota, lots of reasons, EV isnt a magic bullet for stopping quota issues, it has to come down to picking an effective archiving policy along with user education That being said, check you're not in read only mode
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

helpdesk101
Level 3

Sorry i should have left out the part about the exchange mailbox quota as i think thats just causing confusion. Thats just how we noticed there was a problem with EV archiving. It has nothing as such to do with the problem. This problem is happening in mailboxes too that are no where near the exchange quota limit. So again, not looking for a 'magic bullet', never thought it would solve all problems. Im simply looking for help troubleshooting a problem with EV. Not mailbox quota management.

So again the problem is that emails no longer seem to be archiving in EV. They are just showing as 'scheduled to be archived'.

Sorry not sure what you mean about 'read only' mode? Is this in the EV console?

thanks,

Barry

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Check in the registry for these keys, what are they set to?  If they are a value of 0, you are in read-only mode.  If the value is 1, you are in read-write.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\KVS\Enterprise Vault\Storage

"EnableArchive"
"EnableCrawler"
"EnableExpiry"
"EnableFileWatch"
"EnableRestore"
"EnablePSTMigrations"

helpdesk101
Level 3

Hi tony - just checked and all are showing in read/write mode.

thanks,

barry

helpdesk101
Level 3

If anyone else has any other suggestions to resolve would appreciate it.

thanks,

Barry

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

By "scheduled to be archived" I think you mean the items have the pending icon.

If they are pending, have you backups of the vault store partition been running?

What do you use for storage?