cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterprise Vault nsf import version limitations

ExecNight
Level 2

Hello,

We have a customer using Domino Server 7.0.3, in the process of migrating to Exchange 2013.

So we will have to use the Enterprise Vault 10.0.3 version it seems, but Domino 7.0.3 seems unsupported for this scenario.

Is it possible to get the nsf files from the server, and manually import them onto the EV 10.0.3? or are there any migration paths other than;

1- Upgrading many domino servers from 7.0.3 => 8.5.3 which would take some serious time

2- Using EV 8.0 first and upgrade to EV 9.0  then to EV 10.0.3 etc..

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Paul_Honey
Level 5
Employee Accredited

Execnight

'Does this mean i can Archive 7.0.3 nsf, if i have 8.5.3 client on EV 10.x? Do i understand this correctly?'

Yes, you do understand it correctly

My only other advice would be to consider carefully whether archiving the data in Domino prior to migrating the users to Exchange is in fact the correct strategy for your customer. Please see my response to a previous thread on this subject

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/accessing-domino-archive-once-notes-has-bee-uninstall...

where I discuss the benefits and the limitations of using EV in Domino to Exchange migration scenarios, as we are not designed to be a replacement of existing migration tools specifically targetting that market, merely a complement to them

Regards

Paul

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

The following link might help..

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/howto-import-lotus-nsf-files-enterprise-volt-database

In the end though what are you going to do with the archived items right now? Export them back to Notes or???

Working for cloudficient.com

ExecNight
Level 2

We will be decommisioning the Domino Servers after Archiving all the Domino items, and our customer will be using Exchange 2013 as their only mailing system.

We will use Domino Archiving, and then start Exchange Archiving. We are planning the process, so that users will be able to see their archived data from their Outlook Clients but not as an Exchange Archive, we found that to be impossible. They will be having two archives, where they can access their old Domino Archives, and New Exchange Archives.

What i can't find information about is, if i don't connect EV to Domino Servers and import nsf files manually by the wizard, will i have the same version limitations on the nsf files i am trying to import?

ExecNight
Level 2

Hello again, going through documents,

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH38537&key=51367

Under here i found this information;

Enterprise Vault supports Domino mailbox archiving and Domino journal archiving from Domino 6.5.4 and later, running on any operating system. Lotus Notes client must be installed on the Enterprise Vault server to support Domino mailbox and journal archiving. The following table shows the versions of Lotus Notes client that are supported on the Enterprise Vault server. Note that the version of Lotus Notes installed on the Enterprise Vault server must be equal to, or later than the version of Domino on the server from which you want to archive. For example, to archive from Domino 7.0.3 on Enterprise Vault 9.0, you must install Lotus Notes 7.0.4, which is supported on Enterprise Vault 9.0 servers, and is later than the version of Domino on the target server.

Does this mean i can Archive 7.0.3 nsf, if i have 8.5.3 client on EV 10.x? Do i understand this correctly?

Arjun_Shelke
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I guess you can archive 7.0.3 NSF using NSF Migrator while running 8.5.3 notes. But to confirm I think Paul Honey is the best person to guide you..

Paul_Honey
Level 5
Employee Accredited

Execnight

'Does this mean i can Archive 7.0.3 nsf, if i have 8.5.3 client on EV 10.x? Do i understand this correctly?'

Yes, you do understand it correctly

My only other advice would be to consider carefully whether archiving the data in Domino prior to migrating the users to Exchange is in fact the correct strategy for your customer. Please see my response to a previous thread on this subject

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/accessing-domino-archive-once-notes-has-bee-uninstall...

where I discuss the benefits and the limitations of using EV in Domino to Exchange migration scenarios, as we are not designed to be a replacement of existing migration tools specifically targetting that market, merely a complement to them

Regards

Paul

ExecNight
Level 2

We have done quite some Domino to Exchange migrations with various tools before, but since this time the customer wants to create a zero day Exchange organization we agreed that they can simply access the older mails through EV easier than using both Outlook and Notes client.

Thanks for the warning, we are aware that EV is not a migration tool, only helpful in this specific situation.