Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterprise Vault v9 FSA problem

ESI_EVAULT
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hello all,

I am in the process of rolling out Enterprise Vault v9 with the file system archiving only.  For the most part, things are solid.  However, during a large migration operation last night, there were approximately 50 directores (out of about 4000+) that returned an error. 

The specific error was recorded in the event log and is:

Log Name:      Symantec Enterprise Vault
Source:        Enterprise Vault
Date:          11/10/2010 6:44:30 PM
Event ID:      40981
Task Category: File System Archiving Task
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      cn-ev-1.Corp.<customer domain name>
Description:
The folder attributes for the folder: <full UNC path to folder> could not be accessed as access was denied.

This folder and its subfolders will be excluded from archiving

See the Administrator Help for more information.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://evevent.symantec.com/rosetta/showevent.asp

The EV server is Windows 2008; the Event ID is recorded under the applications log, and is 40981. 

To complicate matters, I don't see anything prohibiting a proper archive function from taking place.  I am utilizing the VSA for the tasks, and the VSA is a domain account, local administrator on the vault server sql server, and any file servers targeted.  In additon, the VSA has db creator rights on SQL.  Multiple other directories at the exact same level archive properly without issue.  It's just these 50 or so.  I do have my archive task set up to allow all files meeting the set criteria to be archived (ie I'm not just going after word files, excel, etc).

I've not been able to find anything of substance thus far.

Please help.  Getting frustrated here.

Thanks all

5 REPLIES 5

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

OK well first thing is to rule out the obvious, don't just assume that because its a local admin that it has full rights to the files or directories itself. so first things first, log on to the File Server with the EVAdmin account....can you browse to it in Windows Explorer?

One good thing to check is say you are getting an access denied on Subfolder2 in this structure: E:\File Share\Subfolder1\Subfolder2

Browse to E:\File Share\Subfolder1 then right click Subfolder2 and go to properties and then go to the Security tab and then press the Advanced Button and then click Effective Permissions tab

From there hit the SELECT button and choose your user and you will get something that looks like this: http://www.carbonwind.net/ISA/WebDav/EffectivePermissions.JPG

The effective permissions is a good way to start looking at what it can and can't do on that folder or a specific file.  because it could be that a specific group has  a deny permission set against it and your EVAdmin is part of that group

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

ESI_EVAULT
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hiya,

Thanks for responding.  Yes, I already gave those things a try as a double check.  That's why I'm so perplexed.  I can browse to these folders logged in as the EVAdmin user as well as having full rights when looking at the effective permissions.

I'm open to any suggestions :)

Thanks

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

in which case, download procmon, install it on the machine running the FSA tasks and filter for the folder that gives an access denied and just watch what happens, it'll show you as it gets denied and what reqest specifically is being denied etc

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

ESI_EVAULT
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Thanks for the suggestions.  I have procmon downloaded and I'm working on getting it set, so we'll see what happens.  Thanks

timix
Not applicable

Check that those particular folders haven't exceeded their quota on your fileserver - I recently came across this exact error and the eight or so folders it failed on were at or over their quotas.