Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterprise vault upgrade and movement

SKiran
Level 3
Partner
Hi All,

I am currently working on a project to upgrade EV 7.5 to 8 and migrate it to a new hardware. There are 2 EV servers in the site archiving 4 exchange mailbox servers. The need is to migrate both these servers to a new hardware with EV 8. Can anyone give me some advice to proceed further. Also the SQL database needs to be moved to a different hardware and upgraded from sql 2000 to sql 2005
MY Plan : Upgrade both the EV 7.5 servers to EV 8
move SQL to new hardware
Install new EV 8 SERVER  in the same site
move the archives from both the old EV servers to new EV server.
UPdate the service location

Alternate plan
Upgrade both the EV7.5 to EV 8
move SQL to new hardware
move the archives from one EV server to another
Migrate the directory service from the current EV server to new EV 8 server on new hardware.

Which one of these options is good and please let me know if i am missing anything.

Regards

6 REPLIES 6

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
The 1s option is good one and easy to implement

SKiran
Level 3
Partner
Hi,

But if i go with the 1st option then the directory service computer will be on the old hardware only the archives will be moved, the ultimate goal is to decommission both the old hardware and put the complete archiving on the new hardware with 8.0 SP4. What is the easiest and safest way to meet this goal.

gmackinn
Level 4
Partner Accredited

I'd do an in place upgrade on the existing hardware which is well doccumented by Symantec. Build your 2 new boxes to the required level and use the building block approach to switch to the new hardware. I don't see any need to move any archives but you gould get the benefits of single instance storage of already archived data if you move archives after the upgrade. The SQL move is independant but I wouldn't do it at that same time as changing anything else.

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Upgrade EV on the existing servers

Install new servers with the same name as the old servers

Perform a Data Only Disaster Recovery....

Update the service location for the second server

SKiran
Level 3
Partner
Hi All,

Thanks for the update, my current plan is as follows.
Upgrade SQL database from 2000 to 2005 ( as 2000 is not supported on 2008 windows )
Upgrade both EV servers to 8.0 SP4
Install a new EV 8.0 SP4 on the new servers.
Shutdown the existing EV server services.
map all the storage devices holding the index, MSMQ, Vault stores to the new server
Change the alias of EV to point to the new server
Point the new server to the database and bring up all the services on the new server. ( at this point the directory server will be on the new box )
Move the archives from the second EV server to the new server.

Does this plan look good to all of you.

screenburn
Level 4

Hi,

Have you tried to move EV server from 2003 to Windows 2008. I'll appreciate if you can share the outcome of that.

Look forward for your update.