cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange Journaling Task Keeps Failing

Greg_Hoffman
Level 3
The task starts and vaults some messages then fails. How can I find out why? I've run dtrace but not sure what to look for in the log. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

5 REPLIES 5

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
Hi,

Any events logged when this occurs?  Have you contacted support?

Greg_Hoffman
Level 3
Unfortunetly we are between support agreements at the moment, it expired and hasn't been renewed yet. So I thought I would try to get some help here in the forums.

The last thing I see in the event log is:
"The Journal Task 'Journal Task for EXCHSERVER' against EXCHSERVER has started  (6.0.4.8502)"
Then nothing more. The number of messages in the Journal mailbox went from 340 to 258 before the task failed. In the malbox now I see a bunch of messages that appear to be in process (they have the clock icon).

When I restart the task it now fails without any additional items removed from the mailbox.

If I delete those messages that appear to be in process and start the task again it will then process some more then fail again. Seems to be going okay removing some, then some more, then it just stops.

This usually only takes a minute or two before it's failing.

Message Edited by Greg Hoffman on 03-14-2008 04:07 PM

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Greg,

Is your email on a stand alone server or is your mail on a SAN/NAS device

Also what speed network link is there between the Email server and your EV server.

The more detail you give us regarding your environment the more we can help

Scanner

Greg_Hoffman
Level 3
The journal mailbox is on a clustered server, which is on SAN. The link is Gig ethernet (1 Gbps)

Journaling had been working fine until recently. Not sure what the issue could be.

Perhaps I should try deleting and recreating the Journaling task.

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Greg,

Have you seen any errors on the Exchange server side?

Any errors like ESE warnings or anything like that?

I have seen such issues in the past and it was due to IO issues on the SAN

What kind of SAN are you using