cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange deleted items are not archived?

goof717
Level 5

again thanks for the time and effort.  I had just asked a question in regards to a user not showin up in the vault list. easily answered by Tony Sterling..  however that led to another question which I am having trouble resolving working with Exchange and retention policies.  We want to flush out Deleted Items after x amount of days.  I had thought that our policy in EV stated that all mail after 30days will be archived, to which I had thought includes the Deleted Items folder.  However when I was doing an advance search on a users mailbox I noticed that 'Deleted Items' does not show up as a subfolder of the Exchange mailbox.  

So to me it looks like it is possible to have an email NOT be archived if it has been deleted from the Inbox or Sent Items.  

And looking at our Exchange Mailbox policy under the Advanced tab ... Archive deleted items is turned off.  Luckily the journal mailbox will capture any sent/received emails.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You are correct, if in the policy Archive Deleted Items is not enabled then that folder will not be archived.  You can manage that with Exchange Policies if you like to force the items removed from Exchange directly or enable them to be archived by EV and enforce a retention period.  It is up to you.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You are correct, if in the policy Archive Deleted Items is not enabled then that folder will not be archived.  You can manage that with Exchange Policies if you like to force the items removed from Exchange directly or enable them to be archived by EV and enforce a retention period.  It is up to you.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

The same holds true for the 'Drafts' folder.  Just an FYI

Working for cloudficient.com