Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange stores dismount during backup after EV archiving task

tg88
Level 3
Exchange 2003 SP2
EV  8.0.2.1693
Backup Exec 11d

I'm trying to introduce EV for Exchange and finding I can only run my archiving task for around 1 hour each day otherwise some of my Exchange stores dismount during the subsequent backup.  I understand that this is happening due to a rapid increase in Checkpoint Depth during the backup, and Exchange by design will dismount the stores as a protective measure: "The information store is dismounted, and an event ID 1159 message is logged in Exchange Server 2003 ...".  I've got 1.4TB of mail and hope to archive more than half of this, but at the current rate this is going to take more than 6 months to clear the initial backlog.

Archiving task: 6:30-7:30pm
Full Backup: 8:00pm-5:00am
Exchange Maint. 6:00-8:00am

Is this something that is often an issue during the deployment of EV?  If it is, is there a best practice way to work around this?

Many thanks in advance for any advice.
4 REPLIES 4

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Hi there

You could try archiving during the day as a test to see what additional load you get on Exchange.
If the load isn't that much on the Exchange Server, you could consider archiving from 5:00am to 7:30pm.

If this is not an option, you could at least do it on weekends.

How long is your backup really running on the Exchange?
You could also reschedule this, that you may want to start your Exchange Backup at 00:00 and archive from 6:30 - 11:30pm, this would give you some additional hours.

Cheers

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

tg88
Level 3
Thanks MichelZ.  It's not so much when I archive, but for how long.  If I schedule more than 1 hour of archiving, then the next time the backup runs the checkpoint depth climbs up to 1008 and the stores dismount.

On my system 1 hour ~ 4GB added to the archive.

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
So the problem is not that you archive while you are backing up?
Because of what I read in the article, it's the uncommited transaction logs that are the problem.
You should not experience this when you archive while you are not backing up Exchange at the same time.

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

tg88
Level 3
That's correct, I'm not archiving during the backup.  Anyone seen this elsewhere?

If not I'll assume it indicates a problem with my Exchange server and will try Microsoft...