Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export Archive Wizard

zubkoff_s
Level 4
Certified

Hello.

So, I have some task and considering about solution for it.

General idea:

1. Export content from EV Archive to *.pst file. Archive contains Journal emails from Exchange 2010.

2. Convert *.pst to *.msg

3. Post processing with msg's files

4. Convert *.msg to *.pst

5. Import *.pst to EV Archive.

For import *.pst to archive (step 1) I am going to use EV PM command line utility. Using this utility allow to reduce vulnerable humans errors and made this task in automate mode (create a script with evpm).

But for export from archive to pst I can't use the same utility, i can't use any native Symantec utility for this purpose. Export with native wizard has a lot of manual operations. 3rd party vendors (Symantec's partners) provide huge solution for moving archive. But I need to automate only export from archive step.

Do you know any tool (3rd party) which can make export from archive with command line interface? Or any other solutions for this case.

EV9.

PS: It would be perfect if from export from archive I will receive *.msg files instead of *.pst. And can export *.msg direct to Archive. And all this task in semi-automate mode (limit interaction with end user\operator).

Thanks for any ideas.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

oh and i should also note, that if you import from PST straight in to journal it would HAVE to be EVPM
And it would skip all the Journal processing rules that journals usually do

i.e. no expansion of distribution lists, no processing of envelopes etc
So if you did reconstruct the envelope and imported via PST in to the journal, you would have that exact copy in the archive

i.e. the P1 is the envelope, the message is an attachment, and any attachments in the message would not be indexed or discoverable etc.... again possibly breaking compliance

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

If you look at this site, http://www.symantec.com/theme.jsp?themeid=enterprise-vault-extensions you will see the partners that could help you with getting the mail out of your journal archive.

Extensions For Migrating and Managing Content

Extension Partner Description
Evolve Akaibu Supports migration of multiple on-premise and cloud-based sources.

Migrate Globanet Supports migration of multiple on-premise and cloud-based sources.

Archive Shuttle QUADROtech Specializes in Enterprise Vault to Enterprise Vault and WAN-based migrations.

Migrator TransVault Supports migration of multiple on-premise and cloud based sources.
Enterprise Vault Import Vault Solutions Provides import, export, shortcut resync, and restore features for multiple content sources.

As it is a journal Archive I think the preferred method is to restore the items to a journal mailbox so you can get the P1 envelope back. 

What kind of processing do you want to do on the messages?  Just trying to understand why you would want to do this process.

HTH,

zubkoff_s
Level 4
Certified

Hello. Tony. Thanks for the fast responce.

I found the same companies in Enterprise Vault Whitepaper Migration Tools Overview.

No, restore items  to a journal mailbox is not an options for me, because post process include file based operations ( with *.msg): change some attributes for files. And "changer applications" works only with files itself.

PS: I can't understand one thing: why Symantec provide command line tool for import to Archive (EVPM) and doesn't provide command line tools for export form Archive. This tool will help me with my task. Sure, Symantec has a serious reason for this.

JesusWept3
Level 6

In all honesty, each of those tools in terms of set up, monitoring, exporting etc are just as involved as the Export Wizard, If you don't trust admins enough to do exports via the VAC then I think the same could be said about the tools as they're just as involved, if not more so.

One thing that the VAC export won't give you though is envelope reconstruction. which the other utilities would.

For instance if you have a message sent to DL-Legal or something and a BCC to someone else, when you open the message, you are just going to see To: DL-Legal

The envelope itself will list everyone who got the message, and EV will open up the DL Legal distribution list, and determine who received the message based on that list, compare it to the TO and CC lines, and if they're not in the TO or CC and they're not part of the DL then they're BCC'd/Undisclosed recipient

But from the Export of the mailbox to PST file via the VAC, you will not get the envelope back, meaning you don't know truly who received that email.

Plus from a legal standpoint, depending on what you want to change on the message itself, and what rules you are governed by depending on country and industry, what you may be doing would break compliance

JesusWept3
Level 6

oh and i should also note, that if you import from PST straight in to journal it would HAVE to be EVPM

i.e. no expansion of distribution lists, no processing of envelopes etc
So if you did reconstruct the envelope and imported via PST in to the journal, you would have that exact copy in the archive

i.e. the P1 is the envelope, the message is an attachment, and any attachments in the message would not be indexed or discoverable etc.... again possibly breaking compliance

zubkoff_s
Level 4
Certified

Hi, JesusWept3!

Thank for you response.

If you don't trust admins enough

I didn't tell anything about trust to admin. The main trouble not in confidence at all. I want to avoid humans errors on all steps. Sure, it is impossible to do in general, but i need to try to minimize interaction with human.

But from the Export of the mailbox to PST file via the VAC, you will not get the envelope back, meaning you don't know truly who received that email.

Thanks. I am really don't know it. After export via the VAC I have lost BCC in all messages, and sure it is unacceptable for real-word cases.

I am going to use EV PM for import in to Archive, not in Journal mailbox or any other mailboxes. The final destination is EV Archive. I will have PST and I need to import it to archive and i am going to use EVPM. So, I haven't any journal rules on this step.

i.e. the P1 is the envelope, the message is an attachment, and any attachments in the message would not be indexed or discoverable etc....

Sorry, I didn't understand this thought. Please, rephrase.

I think now I can pay more attention for 3rd party tools, because loosing BCC is unacceptable anyway.

Thanks.

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

IMHO, I think you will definitely need a third party to help you with this process.  It is just beyond the scope of the built-in tools.

Best of luck!