Level 3
How to extract data from DVS files using  API or EV component
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Hi

Dodo, In my opinion, you won't break any laws with this.
In a real Enterprise Vault Environment, you will be able to restore any item, even WITHOUT proper licensing. A License is only required to ARCHIVE content, but never to RETRIEVE. And as this is a retrieval... you know :)

Anyway.

You can Download the Service Pack, which should Include the Client from:
http://entsupport.symantec.com/docs/295551

The file you are looking for would be:
EnterpriseVault 2007 SP2\Outlook Add-Ins\Outlook Add-In\English\EVClient_en.msi

/Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
What data are you trying to extract?

Saritha
Level 3
text in the DVS file

Saritha
Level 3

We have a client who sends us DVS files and we need to extract all the text in that DVS file . we dont have the EV software,can we open the DVS files with any other application other than EV.

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
Hi,

When you say client do you mean a seperate company?  Technically you can't do what you want and to be honest I'm really not sure even if there was an API you would be allowed to call if it if didn't have a licence for EV.

Saritha
Level 3
Can we extract the text with the API if we have the license.

MichelZ
Level 6
Hi
I'm pretty sure you should be able to open the DVS files if you install only the EV Client Component. Maybe you could ask your customer to send you the client, or you can download it via an SP from the Symantec site. You should be able to open the DVS files then...

Cheers
Michel

Saritha
Level 3
Thanks Michel, can you give me the URL where i can find this EV client or the SP.
We need to open DVS files and convert them to tiff files, this should be done pragmatically using .net not manually . I am new to EV and could not find any thing on web.
what i wanted to know is can we open the DVS file and extract the text in it or convert to tiff file using the EV API and .net. If yes, how can we do it(any examples).

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
Hi,

So you have an EV licence then?  Otherwise you are breaking laws at this point I expect.

Saritha
Level 3
My question here is, can we achieve what ever i want if we buy the license.There is no use if we buy the license and i cannot do any thing with that API.Right now i dont have any API,all I am trying to do is gather some information about this.

MichelZ
Level 6
Hi

Dodo, In my opinion, you won't break any laws with this.
In a real Enterprise Vault Environment, you will be able to restore any item, even WITHOUT proper licensing. A License is only required to ARCHIVE content, but never to RETRIEVE. And as this is a retrieval... you know :)

Anyway.

You can Download the Service Pack, which should Include the Client from:
http://entsupport.symantec.com/docs/295551

The file you are looking for would be:
EnterpriseVault 2007 SP2\Outlook Add-Ins\Outlook Add-In\English\EVClient_en.msi

/Michel

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Why are you getting dvs files?  Why not have your client send you the items as .msg?

The best option would be to contact Symantec and see what you will require to accomplish your end goal without violating any licensing agreements.

Saritha
Level 3
Thanks Michel.

s_ravi_kumar
Level 3

Hi Sarita,

Inline with the same cause. I want to access and retrieve the files from EV using .net or java. I could not find an API / SDK to do the same. If you have achieved this, can you guide me ?

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

I believe that Symantec support has a tool called DVS Checker that permits the opening of DVS files but i doubt if they will give that out but you can try

Maquiladoras
Level 4
Employee

DVS Checker is a different tool entirely, to repair an Vault Store database inserting missing DVS files in to their respect vault stores and is used in a Disaster Recovery Environment.

I believe that the Dodos reference of breaking laws is more to do with the EULA and programatically extracting data from it via the use of reverse engineering.

Really it should be encouraged to use an API license as previously suggested to interface with the OSL

MichelZ
Level 6

Hi There is definitely no API for this.

Cheers

Michel