cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FSA: file cluster migration, where only physical hostname is to change

ianG
Level 5

Hi folks,

Bit of a tricky one, I'd like your thoughts on please :)

Our windows team are looking to move from windows 2k3 x32 file clusters to windows 2008 R2 x64 clusters.

They're going to provision new physical servers, with new hostnames. Clone the data disks onto the new physicals, and provision new virtuals to host that data. The new virtuals will have the same hostnames as the old ones - so afterwards, the UNC paths will remain the same.

Any obvious gotcha's from EV's perspective? The placeholder service will need to be reinstalled, of course, but does the physical node name change break anything?

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

If the same and the drive letter are not changed I dont think it should have any issue (i have not performed this myself as if now). You would just probably nned to re-create the place holders ( as mentioned in the TECH68672 )

you can refer the following doc http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH47730

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

ianG
Level 5

Thanks for the reply RahulG

I had spotted those 2 technotes before, but had dismissed them as not really being applicable to this scenario.. However, at second read of the first one, it hints at the main pieces of importance for the new server are that the IP, hostname, and drive letters all remain the same. This would be the case - the only things that are going to change, would be the placeholder service install, the OS, and the underlying physical.

Are they irrelevent to EV in this instance?

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

If the same and the drive letter are not changed I dont think it should have any issue (i have not performed this myself as if now). You would just probably nned to re-create the place holders ( as mentioned in the TECH68672 )

you can refer the following doc http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH47730

ianG
Level 5

Thanks for the links RahulG - I'll be back once I've had a good read of these