cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed to access the Folder

WScholz
Level 2
Hi everybody,

we have EV8.0SP1 in our environment. I installed the admin console today on my XP workstation. When i try to view the archive points for a share of our fileserver or when i try to add a folder i get a strange error message:

Failed to access the Folder
Reason: Unknown error

My Account has the role of a "Power Administrator" and i also tried "Storage Administrator" in addition. When i run the console in the context of the Enterprise Vault service account i can view the archive points or add a folder without problems. Does anybody know what kind of rights or roles does an account need to perform these tasks ?

Thanks in advance

Wolfgang
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Paul_Grimshaw
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Just done a bit more digging and found an internal escalation for this issue and it was found also that if the user had dbo rights to the enterprisevaultdirectory database then this would also mean that the issue was fixed as explained previously this is SQL permission based. As this is not ideal the following fix was implemented:-

1. Add a new user (non VSA RBA user) in the SQL logins.
2. Give the new user created in the above step execution rights to stored procedure named GetTaskIdFromVolumeID

I have just confirmed that if I create a SQL User for my FSA user and grant it Execute permission as above then take that user out of the local administrators group the archive points GUI still works. That was an acceptable solution for the particular customer at the time so that was the end of the issue.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
One thing that comes to mind is Local Admin on the EV Server.  Does your account have that?  Also, Local Admin on the File Server.

WScholz
Level 2
Thanks for your reply,

yes even when i am a local administrator of the EV Server and the fileserver (which is a netapp 3020 filer) i get this strange error.

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Isn't there a "Fileserver Admin" role? (Haven't got a system handy to check right now)

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

WScholz
Level 2
Yes there is,

but the error remains the same when i put my account in that role too. Now i am Power Admin, Storage Admin and Fileserver Admin.

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
I would contact Symc EV support and see if they can help.

Regards,

WScholz
Level 2
Ok, thanks

i did that. Let´s wait what they say.

TomerG
Level 6
Partner Employee Accredited Certified
 Did you get any response on this one? I've run into it in a testing environment and trying to troubleshoot as well.

We are currently logged in as a FS Admin role. That role has local admin rights on both the EV server and File server, and full control permissions on both the share and the folder on the file server. Our file server is NTFS based. We can browse the share as that user from the EV server. Getting same "unspecificed error" when trying to create a standard target.

When we went back and logged in as the EV service account (instead of using a role), it worked fine.

Funny thing is this is a training environment where other users in a similar replicated environment have this work fine, logged in as a role-based user.

Paul_Grimshaw
Level 6
Just done a test on my EV8 SP1 system and when I create a plain user and give them the file server administrator rights I too get the same error message when trying to bring up the archivepoints GUI.

So currently my test user is just a basic domain user with no extra rights anywhere and everyone has F/C access to my file share that I am archiving from. I setup a DTRACE of the mmc process on the client and see the following as the issue:-

205 08:35:38.408 [480] (mmc) <800> EV-H {DirectoryDBAccess.GetOpenSqlConnection} Exception: Login failed for user 'BAUER\ftorres'. Info:DNS Alias: evsite.bauer.local Diag:Num:18456 State:1 Sev:14 Svr
:sql2005.bauer.local Proc: Line:65536 Type:System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException ST: at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.CompleteLogin(Boolean enlistOK)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.OpenLoginEnlist(SqlConnection owningObject, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, String newPassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds..ctor(DbConnectionPoolIdentity identity, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, Object providerInfo, String newPassword, SqlConnection owningObject
, Boolean redirectedUserInstance)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningConnection)at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreatePooledConnection(DbConnection owningConnect
ion, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnectionOptions options)
at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.CreateObject(DbConnection owningObject)
at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.UserCreateRequest(DbConnection owningObject)
at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.GetConnection(DbConnection owningObject)
at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection)
at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open()
at KVS.EnterpriseVault.Directory.DirectoryDBAccess.GetOpenSqlConnection(String dnsAlias)

206 08:35:38.408 [480] (mmc) <800> EV-M {DirectoryDBAccess.UnMapSQLServer} Unmap DNS Alias: evsite.
bauer.local

207 08:35:38.408 [480] (mmc) <800> EV-H {DirectorySP.GetTaskIdFromVolumeId} Exception: Login failedfor user 'BAUER\ftorres'. Info:GetTaskIdFromVolumeId, DNS Alias:evsite.bauer.local Diag:Num:18456 State:1 Sev:14 Svr:sql2005.bauer.local Proc: Line:65536 Type:System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException ST:
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.CompleteLogin(Boolean enlistOK)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.OpenLoginEnlist(SqlConnection owningObject, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, String newPassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds..ctor(DbConnectionPoolIdentity identity, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, Object providerInfo, String newPassword, SqlConnection owningObject, Boolean redirectedUserInstance)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningConnection)
at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreatePooledConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnectionOptions options)
at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.CreateObject(DbConnection owningObject)
at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.UserCreateRequest(DbConnection owningObject)
at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.GetConnection(DbConnection owningObject)
at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection)
at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory)
at KVS.EnterpriseVault.Directory.DirectoryDBAccess.GetOpenSqlConnection(String dnsAlias)
at KVS.EnterpriseVault.Directory.DirectorySP.GetTaskIdFromVolumeId(String volumeEntryId)

208 08:35:38.423 [480] (mmc) <800> EV-L {FileServerManagementStub.KVS.EnterpriseVault.FileServerArchive.IFileServerManagement.IsAutoEnable} Exception: Login failed for user 'BAUER\ftorres'. Info: Diag:Num:18456 State:1 Sev:14 Svr:sql2005.bauer.local Proc: Line:65536 Type:System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException ST: at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean
breakConnection)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds..ctor(DbConnectionPoolIdentity identity, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, Object providerInfo, String newPassword, SqlConnection owningObject
, Boolean redirectedUserInstance)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningConnection)
at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreatePooledConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnectionOptions options)
at KVS.EnterpriseVault.Directory.DirectorySP.GetTaskIdFromVolumeId(String volumeEntryId)
at KVS.EnterpriseVault.FileServerArchive.FileServerManagementStub.KVS.EnterpriseVault.FileServerArchive.IFileServerManagement.IsAutoEnable(String volumeId, String folder)

So we are clearly having login problems to the SQL server

I then add the test user to the local administrators group of my vault server - No Change
I then add the test user to the local administrators group of my file server which also happens to be my SQL server - Now Works
I then take out the test user from the local admin group of my file server/sql server and I get the same error message again.
To rule out the fact that this may be because my user is a local admin of my sql server I created a file server and did the same test but it did not work

So the above tests led me to believe that this would only work if my user was a local administrator of my SQL server. When I did add my user again to the local administrators of my SQL server then both file servers archive points GUI would work, hence proving this.

This obviously should not be needed and believe that this is either a problem in the code or there is something somewhere else that can be done but that would need more investigation. You say you logged a case with us so I am sure that this is being looked into

Paul_Grimshaw
Level 6
Just done a bit more digging and found an internal escalation for this issue and it was found also that if the user had dbo rights to the enterprisevaultdirectory database then this would also mean that the issue was fixed as explained previously this is SQL permission based. As this is not ideal the following fix was implemented:-

1. Add a new user (non VSA RBA user) in the SQL logins.
2. Give the new user created in the above step execution rights to stored procedure named GetTaskIdFromVolumeID

I have just confirmed that if I create a SQL User for my FSA user and grant it Execute permission as above then take that user out of the local administrators group the archive points GUI still works. That was an acceptable solution for the particular customer at the time so that was the end of the issue.

TomerG
Level 6
Partner Employee Accredited Certified
Awesome, thanks Paul. This problem will show up in the EV 8 training course, which they are currently doing an update release for... will make sure they are aware of the issue and workaround.

Cheers, 

Paul_Grimshaw
Level 6
Could you please mark this as a solution for other people in the future who may stumble across this issue