cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File System Archiving Process while using Trigger File

TrevorSalm
Level 4

Hello Everyone,

First off I would like to state I am still a beginner EV admin. I am currently working on implenting FSA on one of our main production volumes. Right now I am working in a test environment and I am having some trouble understanding the complete process from when the files get archived to when the saftey copies are removed and replaced with place holders. Our storage device is a NetApp 8020 C-Mode and in the current environment I am using a trigger file due to the compatibilty with NetApp and removing the Archive bit.  Here is how I currently get to the end results of having place holders....

Step 1: Make sure the PartitionSecuredNotification.xml is available in the partition's location...

Step 2: Then I enable "backup" mode on the Vault Store.

Step 3: I  clear backup mode from the vault store which takes the PartitionSecuredNotification.xml and renames it to PartitionSecuredNotification.old.

Step 4: I run the associated FSA task in normal mode.

I've noticed that this works and removes the saftey copies but not always( same type of files .zip)... I am assuming I am missing a step or am doing something out of order. Any help is greatly apprecaited!

Thanks,

Trevor

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Yes, those would be the steps.  You may need to wait a few minutes to run the task depending on the number of items that need to be secured.  

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

plaudone1
Level 6
Employee

Hi TrevorSalm,

Was the PartitionSecuredDateTime updated in the XML as this is the date used to secure the items?
Also, you could use the IgnoreArchiveBitTrigger.txt file which will use the creation date on that file to secure items.
The file will then be renamed to .old after coming out of backup mode.

The status of the items is held in the JournalArchive table of the Vault Store database as BackupComplete.
If the value is 1 then the item has been secured and is ready for post-processing.

Regards,
Patrick

Hey Patrick,

Thanks for the response... I didnt "update" the time however the files inside the volume were still created before the date inside the XML. Is there any reason to use the IgnoreArchiveBitTrigger.txt compared to the PartitionSecuredNotification.xml ?

"The status of the items is held in the JournalArchive table of the Vault Store database as BackupComplete.
If the value is 1 then the item has been secured and is ready for post-processing." - Where can I access the JournalArchive table?

The files perform the same function however the time in the XML has to be updated whereas the .txt file only needs to be created and the process takes that created time.  

Also, if the archiving task report file is set to Full you should be able to see the file in the report file to see what action was taken on the file.  It is found in EV_Install_Folder\Reports\FSA\Task_name... 

The JournalArchive table is in the Vault Store database that holds that archive in SQL.  You would have to access it through SQL Server Management Studio.  

Regards,

Patrick 

I just want to make sure I understand correctly... There is no actual syntax inside the .txt file it just uses the created time of the actual file? So all files that were created before that .txt file would be considered backed up?

Correct, EV just takes the creation time of the file.  You cannot rename the .old to .txt as that will still have the same created time and not secure any new data.  A new IgnoreArchiveBitTrigger.txt file needs to be created each time.  

So in theory the process should go as follows:

Step 1: Create NEW IgnoreArchiveBitTrigger.txt

Step 2: Set Backup mode to Vault Store

Step 3: Clear backup mode ( Which takes the .txt and turns in into .old )

Step 4: This is where I would run the FSA task associated with the volume to create the place holders and remove the saftey copies?

Thank you in advance for all your help!

Yes, those would be the steps.  You may need to wait a few minutes to run the task depending on the number of items that need to be secured.