cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello everyone

Michael_Bolton
Level 2
Hello everyone.

I am but a simple technician. I work at a satellite campus for a large company where we support our own campus.

Our email system is using KVS 5.0 and exchange 2003. All of our company's email is based out of the HQ campus. Since KVS has been integrated into our system I have dealt with a few problems on my 5 building campus, which I have been able to resolve. Recently a new issue has started to occur and I'd like to ask for some feedback. When a user opens Outlook everything pops up as you'd expect and the user is defaulted into their inbox. You can see your emails in a list view however an hourglass appears in exchange. The KVS icons do not show up at this point. The program then appears to not respond but if you wait long enough, roughly 5-10 minutes, the hourglass goes away and the cursor is there. After this load up time is done the KVS icons then appear in the users Outlook toolbar. Outlook operates as it should after this.

This does not happen to all users. If the users it is happening to log on at a different computers Outlook will not have this problem. If I log onto the machine I will not have this problem.

I have tried many things, and the only thing that is working is to move the KVS items out of that users inbox into a seperate folder I have them create. Now instead of hangups happening when they open outlook, they have it happening when they open the new folder with their KVS items in it which naturally, they want to read.

Does this sound client side or something upstream? I have no control over the email equipment but I have done many things to resolve this on my end. Our KVS support team at our HQ campus isn't sure what's going on with it and I have tried everything I can think of. Some of these machines that users have problems on are newly ris'd with Office XP/2003 so there should be no problems, everything is GPO installed. Other things i have tried are deleting profiles, deleting frmcache.dat and extend.dat, I have tried deleteing all files in Profile Outlook Forms, i have reinstalled KVS manually.

Could this be a DNS issue? Please help, server side or client side?

Sorry for the wall of text.
8 REPLIES 8

David_Messeng1
Level 6
Hi Michael,

Couple of Qs.

Offline Vault? Outlook in cached mode?

Michael_Bolton
Level 2
We do not use offline vault.

I have tried in the past using Outlook in cached mode but it didn't seem to make a difference.

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
You say the problem doesn't follow the user to another machine and other users on that machine are ok. You could try deleting the Outcmd.dat for that user. You will need to re-install the client after doing so.

Frmcache.dat is for the custom forms. Extend.dat and Outcmd.dat are for add-ins.
This link describes it.
http://www.emailaddressmanager.com/outlook/restore-outlook.html

Ultimately, you could try re-creating the Windows profile for an affected user to see if that helps, bit of a pain, but since the problem seems to be profile specific it might be the quickest way to resolve it.

Michael_Bolton
Level 2
Sadly I have tried deleting XP profiles already and have gained no ground. I will see about deleting the Outcmd.dat for the user. thanks!

Anymore feedback would be greatly appreciated though.

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
If I read you right what you're saying is that the problem appears to be related to whether there are archived item in the mailbox or not.

I suggest a couple of things
1. delete frmacache.dat and then install the forms into the users personal forms library. See what that does
2. Get a client trace and look for time delays (should be fairly easy to spot) and post the relevant section here.

David_Messeng1
Level 6
Michael,

you've delted the problem user's XP profile but have yu tried a new MAPI/Outlook profile?

Micah_Wyenn_2
Level 6
Partner Accredited
guys,
If killing the profile didn't work, I'd go as far as suggesting the following nuclear option:

1) blow away the forms cache
2) uninstall the client (EV)
3) blow away the profile
4) Install the new profile
5) test the profile to see that mail starts up and goes fine (yes, shortcuts will be broken)
6) install the forms (do it manually to the local library if you have to)
7) Install the MSI (full client preferred)
8) test anew

It's a hassle, but it should cover all your bases.

micah

David_Messeng1
Level 6
Oh and what SP on the client? Try 6.