cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to automate the process of disable accounts in EV

itms-systems
Level 4

Hi, 

I wish to automate the process of disable accounts in EV when AD accounts were deleted. Could somebody give me some ideas?

I use EV 9.0.1 on Win2k8 server with Win2k8 DC and Exchange 2003. 

Thanks in advance. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
It doesn't really matter from an EV perspective to be honest as all a disablement does is change the mbxArchivingState in SQL and then edit the hidden message on the mailbox so that the user sees the search icon and can still use the retrieval functionality of the EV client But with the mailbox physically gone then all it's doing is updating SQL, and all this means is you might get an annoying event viewer error (enabled mailboxes were found that we're not part of a provisioning group) and also an error if you ever try to use move archive on them Your beat bet would be to run a SQL command each night that sets the mbxArchivingState appropriately if their provisioning group is null but they have an EV archive OR you can try and coordinate with your AD/Exchange team to be able to idenitfy these users before deletion and run an EVPM each night to disable them, so maybe add them to a DL called "usersToDelete" and then each night the EVPM targets that DL and disables whatever users it finds
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Paul_Grimshaw
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

This is not possible.

JesusWept3
Level 6
It doesn't really matter from an EV perspective to be honest as all a disablement does is change the mbxArchivingState in SQL and then edit the hidden message on the mailbox so that the user sees the search icon and can still use the retrieval functionality of the EV client But with the mailbox physically gone then all it's doing is updating SQL, and all this means is you might get an annoying event viewer error (enabled mailboxes were found that we're not part of a provisioning group) and also an error if you ever try to use move archive on them Your beat bet would be to run a SQL command each night that sets the mbxArchivingState appropriately if their provisioning group is null but they have an EV archive OR you can try and coordinate with your AD/Exchange team to be able to idenitfy these users before deletion and run an EVPM each night to disable them, so maybe add them to a DL called "usersToDelete" and then each night the EVPM targets that DL and disables whatever users it finds

itms-systems
Level 4

Thanks for your advice JesusWept2. I will have a look on how to run EVPM to disable them. 

itms-systems
Level 4

Hi continute to my question. 

What if I do a SQL query, select accounts that have MbxExchangeState=1, and Change MbxArchivingState from 1 to 2. Are there any other vaules I need to change?

JesusWept3
Level 6

Thats all there is to it really, i still think the EVPM route would be a better way to go about it though

itms-systems
Level 4

mmmm, thanks JesusWept2.