cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to dump the entire archived mailbox into PST from EV server ?

Dushan_Gomez
Level 6

Hi All,

Is it possible to dump multiple account of the archived mailbox email and the actual email from EV 8.0 SP4 console into PST files ?

what I'd like to achieve is that I got several users who already moved into another company and I just want to export the whole (current) Exchange mailbox content and the archived items in the EV server, so that i can just write the files into DVD per username.

please let me know how to do it in EV server if possible so that i don't need to do export-mailbox again from he exchange server or do export again in the Outlook client.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

DRHarrison
Level 3
Partner

We do what JesusWept2 suggests. We have a Terminations policy, retention category, and provisioning group. When someone leaves, we move them ot the Terminations provisioning group, so that all mailbox items we archive are archived immediately.

Once everything has been archived, you can export directly out of Enterprise Vault to PST.

Here is a Symantec article on how to set up zero day archiving:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH67757&key=50996&actp=LIST

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Dushan_Gomez
Level 6

and it would be better if those exports of several mailboxes can be scheduled to run after the office hours if possible.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

From the EV Server you can export all the archived content to a PST file.  You can't schedule that though, and you can't do "live" mailbox data from the EV Server.

Working for cloudficient.com

Dushan_Gomez
Level 6

thanks for your reply Rob, so does this means if somehow the Mailbox is opened or accessed by the users then it would give me error ?

OK, if that is true then I must be doing it after hours which means can I just do it from the EV server only or do I have to do twice ?

one from the EV server and the otehr is Exchange Server export-mailbox ?

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

If the mailbox is open by a user, the export archive to PST doesn't care... since it's not touching the mailbox at all.

Yes you'd have to do it from "two locations", ie .. export archive from the Vault Admin Console, and export-mailbox from Exchange.

Dushan_Gomez
Level 6

many thanks for the reply once again, so in this case what's the difference in the PST files then ?

between EV server export and the Exchange Server export-mailbox ?

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

The EV export will contain a restored copy of all the archived items.  

The Exchange export will contain an export of anything that is in the mailbox.  if that includes shortcuts to archived items, then the thing which is exported is just the shortcut, not the original item.

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Your best bet maybe to make a Leavers policy where it archives everything regardless of message class, age, read status etc sothat when you export the archive it is everyhin thy had in their exchange mailbox so now you don't have to do the exchange export either Never heard of a company allowing users to have their email after they left the company though!

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

DRHarrison
Level 3
Partner

We do what JesusWept2 suggests. We have a Terminations policy, retention category, and provisioning group. When someone leaves, we move them ot the Terminations provisioning group, so that all mailbox items we archive are archived immediately.

Once everything has been archived, you can export directly out of Enterprise Vault to PST.

Here is a Symantec article on how to set up zero day archiving:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH67757&key=50996&actp=LIST

Dushan_Gomez
Level 6

Yes that is just what I've been looking for.

by following that guide I can now export the whole mailbox items from EV server once off.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

JW2 has presented a good option there...  and "Leavers Policy" is something that is being looked in to "inside" the product for a future version.