cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to remove FSA

Wasp_man
Level 3

Hi

Historically we have been using EV8 for FSA but due to changes in disk management and availability we would like to ingest the archived data back into a new volume on another server and then decommission the vault server.

Are there any steps to do this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

LCT
Level 6
Accredited Certified

You will probably need to use FSAUtility to restore all your FSA data to disk then decomission your FSA Vault server. Your best bet is to approach a Professional Services company to plan this project for you. There isn't any technote or documents around (as far as I know, not from Symantec Tech Support anyway).

The FSAUtility will probably depend on your current storage and your new storage types. i.e. Celerra, NTFS or Centera etc.

More info can be found here.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO37829

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

LCT
Level 6
Accredited Certified

You will probably need to use FSAUtility to restore all your FSA data to disk then decomission your FSA Vault server. Your best bet is to approach a Professional Services company to plan this project for you. There isn't any technote or documents around (as far as I know, not from Symantec Tech Support anyway).

The FSAUtility will probably depend on your current storage and your new storage types. i.e. Celerra, NTFS or Centera etc.

More info can be found here.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO37829

Hope this helps.

Wasp_man
Level 3

We have a lot of data to move back so I am trying a few test folder first.

using fsautility -t -s \\old location -d \\newloaction -f

retuning an invalid destination message.

Any ideas?

LCT
Level 6
Accredited Certified

won't be able to have an input without seeing the errors and also the deatils of your storage would help too. i.e. the storage type of your current file server target and also the storage type of your target restore.

hemant_chauhan
Level 3
Employee Accredited

Is following your exact situation:

a) Lot of data is archived from old file server, using some version of EV.   +

b) Placeholder exist for all the archived data, on old file server  +

c) Now you are planning to decommision the old server  + and get the old archived data from FSA, into a new volume of a new file server.

If so, you have two choices:

1) Choice 1: Restore all the archived file on the old file server itself.  Note: (You must have enough disk space on old file server to be able to download all archived data).   For this, you need to run "FSAUtility -t -s <\\old_fileServer_name_exactly_how_its_mentioned_in_VAC_as_target>".  This will start restoring all the archived data, on the original location.

2) Choice 2: For some reason, if you cannot take above choice (for example because the old file server does not have enough disk space to restore all the archived data), then you can take this approach. In this approach, we first tell EV that all archived data from old file server belongs to new file server. Then restore all the archived data on the new file server.   To do this, you need to do the following:

a) Add the new file server and a volume as FSA target, using Vault Admin Console.

b) Now Run FSAUtility -pm  -s <\\old_fileServer_name_exactly_how_its mentioned_in_VAC_as_target>\volumeName  -d <\\new_fileServer_name_exactly_how_its mentioned_in_VAC_as_target>\volumeName.    (if you have mutiple  volumes, then run it for each volume one by one).

Above will move all the existing placeholder files from source to detination.  Also, it will update EV so that it belives all the data from old server, now belongs to New file server (which you have specified with -d).

c) And now, you should be able to run FSAUtility again to restore all the data, on the new file server. To do this run "FSAUtility -t -s <\\new_fileServer_name_exactly_how_its_mentioned_in_VAC_as_target>"

Hope this helps. Please leave your feedback about the above solution.

AWMorris
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

Have you added the destination server as an archiving target?