Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How / when is the .mdc file updated

AL_G
Level 4

Hello

I'm seeing issues with messages like the one below happening from time to time:

"The set of folders cannot be opened. The path specified for the file C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\KVS\Enterprise Vault\STORE-IDp-in-arch-01.mdc is not valid"

(I havn't been able to capture this in logs yet)

- Is anyone else seeing stuff like this?!

- Does anyone know / can point me to info which describes how this file gets updated?

e.g.

- how / when does it get updated (synched?)

- I've seen a (hidden) file called ~STORE-IDp-in-arch-01.mdc file in the same directory which I'm "guessing" is realted to the sync process. How exactly does this bit work (does contain "deltas" ?) how does this end up in the main file - could this be realted to the error above?

Thanks
AL

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

I believe it's referred to in the Virtual Vault Whitepaper ...  the .MDC file is the metadata cache that users get.  It contains metadata about items in the users archive.  You get one file per archive that you are synchronising to the client machine.

Working for cloudficient.com

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Can you clarify what version of EV server and client are in use?

AL_G
Level 4

Client
Outlook Professional Plus 32 bit
Vault Client : 9.0.1.x (February Rollup)

Server
Vault Server : 8.0 SP5

Thanks
-AL

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

What version of outlook is it? 2007? 2010?

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

This isn't per chance on a network drive is it? (like a roaming profile etc)?

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

AL_G
Level 4

Hello

No - whilst roaming profiles are enabled, that lives within "C:\Users\username\AppData\Local..."

i.e. the "non-roaming" portion of the user profile

I can also verify this by connecting and files are local (and not part of the roaming profile)

-AL

Also above - I wrote "Outlook Professional Plus 32 bit".
For clarity - I meant to say "Office Professional Plus 2010 32bit"

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

I believe it's referred to in the Virtual Vault Whitepaper ...  the .MDC file is the metadata cache that users get.  It contains metadata about items in the users archive.  You get one file per archive that you are synchronising to the client machine.

Working for cloudficient.com

AL_G
Level 4

I'm assuming you mean this one : "Enterprise Vault - Virtual Vault Overview White Paper"

Usefull (albeit a bit "high level").

I can see from here it says: "Synchromization for Vault Cache occurs automatically every 24 hours or manually by using the "Synchonize Now" button.

Dosn't contain as much detail as I'd like but I guess thats all I'm likley to get.

Thanks

-AL