cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Implementing a New EV server in the enviroment

Cdee
Level 6

Hello Pals,

I am having a project on my plate right now and i am trying to dig in more on how to go ahead about it and hence approaching the specalist group out here :)

Whats the project?
I have to implement\Install a new EV server in an existing EV site and then move Couple of task from old server to new server.

Reason for the same?
To load balance the performance of server.

Current Enviroment?
1 EV server with 4 Archivng task
4 Exchange 2010 server with 16 DB that means that each task has 4 mailbox DB in the target tab.
Approx 4500 Users in site srpead across 16 DB.

Till now what have been done in enviroment?
I have installed a new EV server in the same EV site but no services have been configured on this server

Help req from forum?

How to do i go ahead after that, just to make sure that i have properly load balanced the performance on both server as old server is facing performance issue.

have been going through lot of Articles some are below. Hopeing would they actually help me in acheving my goal.

How to move the Index location to a different Enterprise Vault (EV) server in the same site. -
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH51450

Move Archive Wizard Availability -
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH75993

Please give you vaulable feedback on the same.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cdee
Level 6

Just got off call from Symantec and figured out how to go ahead with the same.

Its bit hectic job but output would be good.

1) Hardware required , Win2k3 Sp2 + 136 GB C: Drive for binaries, D: Drive ~500 Gb for index, Memory 4 GB , Server hardware HP Proliant DL380 G6, Quad Core.

2) Install EV server in the same site.

3) Configure the Services on the new server (Do not create index on the new server)

4) Check queues on old EV server make sure they are empty (**IMP once are storage queue and A1) others can be purged.

5) Stop the Archving task on old server which you are gonna move and delete them once you have stopped.

6) Create the same Task on new EV server.

7) Create a new Vault store and partition.

8) And then you may start moving the archive from old server to new server in phase manner which will also move the indexes to new server.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Cdee
Level 6

Also how about index's if i create a new server and move task to new EV server would the new index be created for the new server??

Percy_Vere
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I would move two of the tasks to the new server so there is an even spread of mailboxes per task, e.g. 2250 mailboxes per ev server.

I would then monitor the performance of the EV servers using Microsoft perfmon and the archiving rate report  (refer to Perfomance Guide) which will then indicate which tasks can be moved or reconfigured. Remember you have the optino to chnage the archiving task conenctions and messages per pass on the archive task properties.

Percy_Vere
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Indexes for new archives can be created in the new location. You would have to move the existing indexes if you wanted to balance the load. http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/288432.htm. For example you could move the index locations for all users with Surnames from A to S and then run the SQL query in the technote above to update the index location for those users only.

Cdee
Level 6

Just got off call from Symantec and figured out how to go ahead with the same.

Its bit hectic job but output would be good.

1) Hardware required , Win2k3 Sp2 + 136 GB C: Drive for binaries, D: Drive ~500 Gb for index, Memory 4 GB , Server hardware HP Proliant DL380 G6, Quad Core.

2) Install EV server in the same site.

3) Configure the Services on the new server (Do not create index on the new server)

4) Check queues on old EV server make sure they are empty (**IMP once are storage queue and A1) others can be purged.

5) Stop the Archving task on old server which you are gonna move and delete them once you have stopped.

6) Create the same Task on new EV server.

7) Create a new Vault store and partition.

8) And then you may start moving the archive from old server to new server in phase manner which will also move the indexes to new server.