cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to roll back the archiving which has been started on file server(FSA ,EV 10.0) ?

Parveen_Hooda
Level 3

Hi all ,

Is it possible to roll back the archiving which has been started on file server(FSA) ?

Environment :-

1.Enterprise vault 10.0 on Windows 2008 R2 server SP1,

2.File server Windows 2008 R2 storage server,

3 SQL server 2008 X64.

Vault store 16 TB presented LUN from SAN.

EV Cache 300 GB presented LUN from SAN

Index 2000GB

MSMQ 300 GB

SQL DB 2000 GB

I have started archiving on my production volumes on file server and I have applied a policy that archive the file which are older than six months now now some archive has been done some are left but now i want to segregate my data that i want to create many vault store for every year so that I can manage my data year wise. Is it any way to rebuild the Vault stores .I have five volumes on which archiving is being started now can i segregate that for example :- I have K: drive where my production or aged data is sited I want that all the archives of this drive auto move in a different vault store ?I have selected that create placeholders(shortcut) immediately after archive. Now lots of data have been moved from my primary file server to EV vault store .Know is it any way to role back??  

all comments are appreciated

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Darren_Locke
Level 6
Employee

What Wayne has quoted is valid prior to v9. In v9 and v10 you have bulk recall in FSAUtility (-b option) check out the Utilities guide for more information. Also check out this blog post:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/file-system-archiving-enterprise-vault-v9-placeholder-...

Darren

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

You could initiate a mass recall using the advanced option in XP too 'Seach Tape Backup' 
However if you are using placeholder you will have to run this as an admin user and ensure that you have the following regkey's set on the file server:

HKLM\software\kvs\enterprise vault\FSA\placeholderservice
BypassrecallLimitsForAdmins = 1

RevertItemsToPlaceholders = 0 - This setting stops items from reverting back to a placeholder after 20 minutes.

Restart placeholder service for the settings to be effective.

If you are using XP SXP1/2, then right click on the folder in question through Window's Explorer and Search. 
Then select advanced options on the right hand pane. You should have the option in there with a check box 
that needs to be clicked. Just search for some text withing all the doc's.

An alternative is to use an Anti-Virus scan that does recall placeholders.

However if you are not using Placeholders this will not work for you and you would have to fall back on the PST method.
Also the next time you do an archive run it will reset the files back to placeholders if they fit your policy.

Also remember to reset the regkeys when you are done.

Darren_Locke
Level 6
Employee

What Wayne has quoted is valid prior to v9. In v9 and v10 you have bulk recall in FSAUtility (-b option) check out the Utilities guide for more information. Also check out this blog post:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/file-system-archiving-enterprise-vault-v9-placeholder-...

Darren

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

thanks Darren, its been a while since I touched FSA :p