cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with KVS journaling mailbox

John_Williams_3
Level 3
Hi,

I'm having an issue with journaling in EV 6.0 SP4 with Exchange 2003.

Journaling stops processing messages at around 1am every day. If I then clear the "enterprise vault storage archive" queue and restart the EV services, it starts to process again. There are no events in the event log at the same time.

Has anyone had experiences of this problem before?

Thanks for your help,

John
11 REPLIES 11

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
John

How do you know that it stops processing?
In which queue do the messages hang?
What happens if you don't clear the queue and restart the services?

Cheers
Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

MarkB_2
Level 4
Do you have any maintenance jobs or backup jobs scheduled around that time??? I am surprised that there are no event log entries at all. Check that you are not doing something like putting the services into readonly mode for backup.

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
Hi,

Are you seeing the task controller and Storage Service shut down?  Are you seeing an event about 'insufficient reosurces to perform this operation'?

John_Williams_3
Level 3
Thanks for replying.

I know that the Journal stops processing as when I open the Journal Mailbox there are messages building up in the Inbox. The messages do not start clearing out of the Journal mailbox if the services are restarted without clearing the "enterprise vault storage archive" queue.

The backup job does not start until 2:30 am, so I'm assuming that's not affecting the issue.

I do also notice that when the issue occurs I can no longer see the process "EVConvertersandbox" in task manager. After I clear the queue and restart the services, this process then starts heavily using the CPU and the mails in the inbox of the Journal Mailbox start to get archived.

Cheers,

John

jimbo2
Level 6
Partner
John,

Try to manually archive and item in the journal mailbox using the archive button. Record the error and post it.

Jim S.

John_Williams_3
Level 3
Hi,

I've not been able to manually archive an item to get an error.

However I have found that the Journal archiving stops when the Mailbox archiving task starts.

Thanks,

John

jimbo2
Level 6
Partner
When you say mailbox archiving task starts do you mean  "Start an archiving run" or "Starting from stop to start" state?

Jim S.

jimbo2
Level 6
Partner
You may want to refer to the EV Performance Guide.

FROM PERFORMANCE GUIDE
When archiving, the Archiving Service takes items from the Exchange Server and puts them onto the MSMQ queue "enterprise vault storage archive". In order to prevent an excessive number of items from being put on the queue, a limit is set to the number of items. When this limit is exceeded, the archiving tasks will pause to give the Storage Archive processes time to clear the queue. By default, this limit is set at 1,500.

The above is from section: 'Exchange Mailbox Archiving' which also covers journaling. There are some parameters that can be tweaked depending on your system configuration. If you system is processing items faster then it can store them then the PIPE to the storage may need to be opened.

You will see what I mean when you read the section.

Jim S.

John_Williams_3
Level 3
Hi,

I mean "Start an archiving run".

Thanks,

John

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
John

Could you have a look at the Message Queues and post how many items are in each queue when the processing stops?

Cheers
Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

John_Williams_3
Level 3
Just to update on this issue.

With the help of Symantec Support found that the issue was caused by our SQL server being replaced with new hardware. The new server had SQL 2000 RTM not SQL 2000 SP4 installed. After the new server was then upgraded to the same level as it had been before, the issue was resolved.

Thanks to all for their help.