cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mass enable offline vault

Biohazzard
Level 4
I have EV7.5 SP4 for exchange.

All of our users are in cached mode by default. I want to enable most of our users automatically for offline vault as well to increase performence at our remote sites. Is there a way to do this?

I found this old thread refering to a registry key but wasnt sure if this is what i wanted. If so i could deploy the key change to the machines ate those sites.

thanks
6 REPLIES 6

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Hello Bioh.

If you refer to the OVEnabled key, I believe that is in 7.5 still a valid key.
I only know it from using it to disable OV, but I assume you can use it with a value of 1 to enable OV.

I believe I read somewhere in the 8.0 guides that when the key exists it is not working well together with VaultCache (OV8.0), but I am not sure where I read this.

Do note that building the OV might slow down your network, especially if the EV servers are central, and users access them via slow wa'-lines.

Regards,

Gertjan
Regards. Gertjan

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Its in the policy settings. There is no need to use a regkey, its a dirty and ugly way to do it.

--wayne

Biohazzard
Level 4
https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/i-want-disable-offline-vault-everybody

was the thread and yes it was the OVEnabled Key.

My first thought about enabling it in the policy is that it is too broad. we only have two policies for 1200 users. about half are at remote sites. I would have to break down the users into separate policies.

Is there any other drawback to enabling the Key?  Using Altiris i could at least do one group at a time minimizing the WAN traffic.

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
naaa, but if you using GPO then why not just add a new policy?  That's what they there for.  When you upgrade to v8 you get a separate desktop policy, so you have different desktop polices using one archiving policy too.... bite the bullet and start your v8 upgrade plan :)

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
I understand Biohazzard.

I'm in the same position. We have a large number of laptop users. For whatever reason, it is almost impossible to determine who has a laptop and who has not. It is very difficult for me to use a Vault Policy to make sure Vault Cache will be enable for only laptop-users.

Still thinking about it, but will have to decide before upgrading to 8.0

Gertjan
Regards. Gertjan

MichelZ
Level 6
Would there be a need for a tool which checks if the computer is a mobile client, and then enables it for OV? I believe you can query WMI to get the computer type. Cheers

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.