cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Messages left in pending state

n_sanford
Level 3
I'm running Enterprise vault 6 w/sp2. I'm migrating from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2003. When I move a user over to Exchange 2003 their emails are left in a pending state instead of being archived. Everyhting worked before the move over to Exchange 2003. Any Ideas?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
After you made the change did you restart the storage service?

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Terence_Marques
Level 3
Hi Sanford,

1st Disable the users for Enterprise Vault archiving.

2nd Run a Zap.ini against the users mailbox

3rd Re-enable them for archiving and see if that works

Regards

Terence

Micah_Wyenn
Level 6
Also check the vault you're archiving to. If the safety setting isn't "immediately archive" then the pending icons are normal.

micah

n_sanford
Level 3
Thanks for the reply. How do I run a zap.ini?

Micah_Wyenn
Level 6
I'm not really convinced that zapping the mailbox is going to fix a pending icon problem. Usually those are either communications problems between client/server, or evidence of a more complex problem (aka dcom/http). Of course, if your safety copy setting isn't set to your liking, then you'll get this behavior as well (in which case it's normal). So do check that before you start debugging.

So instead of zapping, do a cancel operation on all active pending items in the mailbox. Then launch the client side tools, select the maximum level of logging, and also run a dtrace on the EV server which is running the archive task/hosting the vault. Then try a manual archive and see where it falls down.

micah

andra_christie
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Are you also seeing event id 3287 in the logs?

This can occur due to users mailboxes being moved. It is due to an issue in Exchange System Manager on the Enterprise Vault Server.The symptoms are items going archive pending and staying there...

Upgrade Exchange System Manager on the EV server to Exchange System Manager 2000 sp3 + latest hotfix rollup or Exchange System Manager 2003 SP1 as appropiate

n_sanford
Level 3
Thanks for the info. I'll give this try

Ken_White
Not applicable
I'm having the same problem and have looked at the suggestions here and checked setting etc. The mail items are still in a pending state (icon with clock), the items are being archived into the vault, however the shortcuts are not being applied. The original message is still there and does not get processed (shortcut).

Is there anything else I should check? I'm not getting any errors in the Enterprise event log.

TonySterling
If your safety copy strategy is set to after back up?

Refer the the Admin help on Backing up vault stores under Day-to-day administration.

You can run the attrib command against the vault store partition to force the system to think the files have been backed up for now if you are just testing.

attrib -a "D:\Enterprise Vault Stores\*.*" /s

Ken_White_2
Level 2
Thanks Tony, this is a test system so no backup are being performed etc. I did have the safety copies set to after backup, but I changed it to immediately after archiving and re-run the task and the same thing happens, I get the pending archiving message and icon.

I will try changing this back to after backup for safety copies and run the attrib command as you have suggested.

Cheers

TonySterling
After you made the change did you restart the storage service?

Ken_White_2
Level 2
Thx Tony, a restart fixed that and now the shortcuts are processing.

I am now getting the correct shortcut banner and attachments links, however when I click on the shoutcut I get this message:

The XML page cannot be displayed
Cannot view XML input using style sheet. Please correct the error and then click the Refresh button, or try again later.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XML document must have a top level element. Error processing resource 'http://nzwlguniev01.ecl.ad.dol.govt.nz/EnterpriseVau...

Anyone seen this before, the web components have been configured as per the installation documentation.

Running windows 2003 SP1, EV 6.0 /SP3.

MarkBarefoot
Level 6
Employee
This sounds like the MS Hotfix which caused an issue with Archive Explorer.

Hotfix now released..

Contact support for relevant .zip file.
(Document ID: 285748 )