Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move Journaling task to Different EV Server in Same Site

AKL
Level 6
Certified

Hello

I am running an Enterprise vault 9.0.1 environment with 5 EV Servers and 1 SQL 2008 R2 backend server. The environment was upgraded and moved to a different data center few months back.

One of EV server was left back for certain reason - EV4 (suppose) - which used to handle journaling task in old data center. I configured new vault store & task on EV3 to keep journaling running.

Now EV4 is in the new data center along with rest and ready to take charge back for journaling - However I am bit unsure about steps that need to be taken for completing this without much interruption/loss/double indexing.

The vault store for journaling can be moved to different EV server based on below tech note:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH47388

But am not sure about the EV tasks - and how MSMQ can cause issue in this move - Basically trying to avoid any left over queue which can cause issue - Primarily J1 and Storage queue (remainign can be deleted without any issue to my knwoeldge)

The backend storage device is Centera in Basic mode.

Thoughts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Chris_Warren
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

I would recommend placing this original task in report mode first, so that the MSMQs and database references are able to clear out.  I would also recommend then moving the vault store so you can tie the new task and target to the existing archive in that vault store rather than having another archive built in a separate vault store.  You would also need to monitor how fast the journal mailbox grows without EV pulling data because there will be the need to catch up once it is on the new box.

Just a few thoughts.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

stop the task, delete the journal target, delete the task on old server, create task on new server, add journal target and have it use the new journal task you created

You really shouldnt have any issue from MSMQ side of things

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

AKL
Level 6
Certified

Thanks for response Jesus - And to make sure - Vault store should be moved as well right so that storage and task controller service both are on same box?

Chris_Warren
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

I would recommend placing this original task in report mode first, so that the MSMQs and database references are able to clear out.  I would also recommend then moving the vault store so you can tie the new task and target to the existing archive in that vault store rather than having another archive built in a separate vault store.  You would also need to monitor how fast the journal mailbox grows without EV pulling data because there will be the need to catch up once it is on the new box.

Just a few thoughts.

AKL
Level 6
Certified

Thanks Chris - That makes sense. And I am assuming once task is in report mode - no new items will be taken by J1/Storage queue till it is changed back to normal mode - Right?

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

report mode means no new messages will be archived, so yes.

AKL
Level 6
Certified

Thanks a lot guys - the thoughts shared pointed in a right direction, I will report back if we run into any issues however theoritically we shouldn't