Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help on importing 4-8TB journal pst data into EV2010

thestriver
Level 2

Hi,

I have been tasked with the following after an aquisition:

> Need help on importing 4-8TB journal pst data into EV2010 : Looking for the best approach / practise to get this data imported. Any capacity and performance considerations to look at as this is a lot of data to be imported into the env?

> Assess if EV2010 journal archive can grow dynamically as thre archive keeps increasing size in the future, Or do we have to provision storage to keep up?

Need expert opinion on the above...

Thank you

Best Regards,

- thestriver

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

The 250 million refers to the count of the saveset table.

This thread is a good conversation about it.  https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/vault-store-db-limitations-reached

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

TonySterling

Can you verify the version of EV?  There isn't an EV2010.  Do you mean EV 10?

Is it just one PST? 

You should read these:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/can-evpm-be-used-import-pst-files-journal-archive

Journal Archive name does not appear in the selection list of Import PSTs Wizard.

Article:TECH53463  |  Created: 2007-01-12  |  Updated: 2014-04-16  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH53463

thestriver
Level 2

Yes, it is EV10

Multiple pst's in 3 usb sticks of around 3 TB each

Other queries:

> What could be the performance impact of such an import? Do we need to look at how much storage is reqd before the import begins. In this case 8 TB is the data itself...so do I need to have some buffer space for the import operation to process, like may be another 8 tb of free space?

> Will the EV10 archive dynamically expand in size as time wears on or as soon as the max size limit for archive is nearing we need to provision storage?

Thanks youfor your reply.

Regards,

thestriver

TonySterling

So as JW3 said in the referenced post:

Your best bet honestly would probably creating a shared archive and importing the PST through the VAC

I think you should create a couple Shared Archives and import the PST's into them.  As the only thing going into those archives would be the PST's you won't need to worry about them growing.  It will be up to you if those PST's are in the save vault store of your current journal archives.  If they are, then yes, you need to make sure you have the space to accommodate the growth.

The performance impact will be the EV Server will be dedicating some resource to ingesting and indexing the data but it should not interfere with the day to day operation, unless your EV server is already at capacity.  If it is, you could see some backlogs.

By default, there is not max limit on the archives, so I am not sure what you mean.  You need to make sure you can hold all the data you intend to migrate and also have room to handle the day to day ingestion.

thestriver
Level 2

Thanks, TonySterling, for that previous forum issue link. That has helped.

Coming to what I meant was is there any max limit of size associated with EV archive? Like if the size of the archive reaches 100 TB it will give out error messages or warnings. This would then trigger more storage provision for the archive?

So, when you say 'As the only thing going into those archives would be the PST's you won't need to worry about them growing', you mean for formats other than pst, should there be any special consideration? And for what other types of file formats you meant there?

Thanks so far...

Regards,

thestriver

TonySterling

So you limit will be in regards to the vault store database, the recommended limit for it is 250 million items.  So once you reach that limit you will want to create a new journaling vault store and journaling archives.

For the second thing, I wasn't referring to any file formats.  I was only pointing out that since all that was going to be ingested into the archives you create would be the PST's that you wouldn't need to allow for growth for them as it wouldn't be recommended to use them for any current archiving.

thestriver
Level 2

Thanks, Tony for the help so far...

I'm new to EV so would need all you experts help

So from your second point about pst's, it is understood that since I'm ingesting pst files into the ev archive, I do not need to worry about having 2 times or 3 times buffer free space to take care of the import operation. Only thing to take care of is that some free space should be still left after the import to accomodate daily archive ingestion.

So, vault store db size can be anything as long as the count of itens inside it does not cross the limit of 250 mil? What items did you mean would total 250 mil?

Regards,

thestriver

TonySterling

The 250 million refers to the count of the saveset table.

This thread is a good conversation about it.  https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/vault-store-db-limitations-reached