Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PST client driven migration

Celtic
Level 5
Partner

Hi,

I have ran a pst locator task and it has picked up the users pst files. I have then enabled the user for client driven migration. The pst then change to the correct name and the status is set to "do not migrate". For the client driven migration do I need to manually set the status to "ready to copy" or is this just required for the pst collector task??

How long does it normally take for migraton to happen when client driven is enabled?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

Celtic
Level 5
Partner

I deleted paths for pst's the locator found. I notice now that the client driven task hs started migating a pst file of 265kb but is taking a long time, prehaps the client migrator task is not picking it up?

Another thing is the pst file that the client driven task is migrating from a different profile on the same pc of the user I enabled for client driven migration. How did it decide to upload this pst file when it does not belong to the user? Is it because the particular user of this machine is an domain admin and has permissions to this pst even though it is not located in his windows profile?

Thanks

P

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Okay I'll try to unravel things a little here.

On the server side migration, there is the locator, the collector and the migrator.

The client side migration doesn't use the locator.  You enable people for client side migration, then when they next start Outlook, the EV Outlook add-in will find PSTs, report them to the server, and start migrating them.

Hope that helps,

Working for cloudficient.com

Celtic
Level 5
Partner

Thanks Rob,

So for that logged on user it just looks for PSTs in the "users and documents folders" and the starts migrating, so if there were multiple profiles on that pc then the wrong pst files can get uploaded to the user that is currently logged on to Outlook?

Also I enabled a user for client driven migration 24hrs ago. It is still in a state of migration even though the pst file was and still is 265kb in size? How do I know what is going wrong??

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Regarding point 1...

Your PST Migration policy will in part define what gets migrated.  There is an option to "Restrict search to PST files under users 'documents and settings' folder".  So if I am enabled for client driven migration and I log in to PC "Test", the EV Outlook Addin will scan MY documents and settings folder.  If you then come along and log in to the same PC "Test", the EV Outlook Addin will scan YOUR documents and settings folder.  So no, it won't add the wrong PST files for upload.

Regarding point 2...

First of all, this might be related to the schedule of your PST Migration task (I think that's still needed to be in schedule and running).  Secondly you could/should obtain a client trace from the user, and we can take a look at that.

Working for cloudficient.com