Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PST server driven migration permissions

Vlad2010
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hello!

Could you please help me with PST migration issue?

I am running server driven migration using Ev service account.

PST files locatted on file server. EV account has local admin right on this server and when I check permissions on Home Users folder Administrators have full right (NTFS).

Registry search is working patrially (I know that client has PSt files on server but cannot find it. Other users are fine).When I do hard drive search it does not work.

Interesting part that in PST locator task on Setting tab I see that search is done on 136 from 556 machines. It looks like stuck.

Can you please tell me what permissions EV account has to have on Home Users Shares and maybe some good document that explains that.

Thank you very much

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

to be honest when i see companies do PST migrations, they have the EV Admin in the backup admins group that has access to all files and folders on all machines as thats what the backup admins need

otherwise you could just do a ProcMon to determine the level of access its requesting and each failure that occurs etc

Also you can set the Log On Account to be different than the EVAdmin to an account with elevated permissions, you just need to make sure that account is added to either a Power Administrator or PST Administrator through roles based administration etc

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

to be honest when i see companies do PST migrations, they have the EV Admin in the backup admins group that has access to all files and folders on all machines as thats what the backup admins need

otherwise you could just do a ProcMon to determine the level of access its requesting and each failure that occurs etc

Also you can set the Log On Account to be different than the EVAdmin to an account with elevated permissions, you just need to make sure that account is added to either a Power Administrator or PST Administrator through roles based administration etc

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

AKL
Level 6
Certified

I was in same situation as you're few days ago, I was using vault service account for search and was getting lot of errors.

I changed locator task to use my account which has Domain Admin rights + Power Admin on vault. I added following permissions more on EV servers:

1. Logon as service

2. Replace Process Level token

3. PST Admin

Since then the locator task has been going much faster. Note - You cannot add vault service account to Domain Admin group.

Document: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH65503

Vlad2010
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Thank you for your replies!

Made changes and found another issue.

When registry and hard drive search runs, I can see that registry search creates report and also it reports on machine when search performed.

Fot hard drive search I can see report only but it does not report in EV console.

Also in PST Locator task under Settings I can see registry search as completed, but for hard Drive search is says

Search status 132 of 565 serached.

Search started 11/26.2011.

If somebody has same issue with Hard drive search.

Thank you

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Why dont you use the Client PST import method ?
Users can use outlook and their PST when it is being imported.

AKL
Level 6
Certified

You can check for any Hard disk search errors reported in SQL table dbo.PSTComputer present under EnterpriseVaultDirectory database - Same for registry search as well.

I would recommend complete server driven migration based on registry first as it marks all PSTs open with users Outlook profile which is mostly the PSTs users care about. ;)

Once all is done - you can then start sweeping hard disks - Divide & Counquer - Will reduce your administrative overhead.

And I agree to zerocool too - You can use client driven migration which will also populate vault cache at same time for users giving you network advantage - However certain limitations:

1. Client driven can only delete PST files in post processing.

2. Some performance hit will be seen on user side while working with Outlook.

3. You will need to add registry so client driven picks up any new PST added in Outlook more frequent than default

Vlad2010
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Sorry for late responce.

Thank you all for your help.

I agree that Client driven is does good job in term of client connectivity. You can migrate PST when client using Outloook as server driven does not work when client using Outlook.

I experience issue with client driven migration. We enable user for client driven migratioin and in VAC I can see status "Migrating", but it stuck forever.

In order to remove it from VAC i have to search entry in SQL and change status to Do not migrate and start over.

Even I disable user for client driven migration it still show Method as Client.

Also cannot find any entry in client registry for PST migration. Version 9.0.2. Do I have to create it or it create automatically?

Thank you