cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with automatically enable mailboxes for archiving

Anelka
Level 3

Hello,

we have issues with automatically enable mailboxes for archiving on once of our directories.

Users are members of proper provisionging group, on which we have set - automatically enable mailboxes.

After provisioning task ran, users are listed into the report of provisioning, but not enabled for archiving and no archive created and visible on console.

Mailboxes are not enabled even after auto run of scheduled archiving task. Proper entries are done into the ExchangeMailboxEntry table on SQL DB.

It is possible to enable users manually, but it is not a solution.

Does anybody have any idea, what is the cause of that issue or experienced same ?

Thank you in advance,

Best regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

So when you set Automatically Enable Mailbox in your provisioning group, it just means they are flagged to be enabled when the scheduled Archiving Task kicks off, usually during the evening when most people archive their exchange servers.

What i'm not entirely sure about is if the archiving task will enable it even if there are no items to archive, or it has to have eligible items before it becomes enabled..... logic dictates that it will enable it as soon as it is connected and doesn't need eligible items for the user to be enabled.

It could be something like the archiving window is too short or the Items Per Pass is too high so the archiving task never even gets to that user to begin with.. it could also be that the user is over quota, when users are over quota then they cant be enabled ant eh hidden message put in its place etc.

Do you have anything in the event log suggesting users are being enabled or couldn't be enabled for any reason?

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

JesusWept3
Level 6

So when you set Automatically Enable Mailbox in your provisioning group, it just means they are flagged to be enabled when the scheduled Archiving Task kicks off, usually during the evening when most people archive their exchange servers.

What i'm not entirely sure about is if the archiving task will enable it even if there are no items to archive, or it has to have eligible items before it becomes enabled..... logic dictates that it will enable it as soon as it is connected and doesn't need eligible items for the user to be enabled.

It could be something like the archiving window is too short or the Items Per Pass is too high so the archiving task never even gets to that user to begin with.. it could also be that the user is over quota, when users are over quota then they cant be enabled ant eh hidden message put in its place etc.

Do you have anything in the event log suggesting users are being enabled or couldn't be enabled for any reason?

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Also, on the Provisioning Group do you have Archive mailboxes in this provisioning group checked?

Anelka
Level 3

Hello,

Thanks for fast response!

@ JesusWept2 - Of my expirience, when Provisioning groups is set to auto enable mailboxes, and to archive mailboxes in this provisioning group, the mailboxes are enabled for archiving as soon as provisoning task finish the run. We have 2 separated vault directories and issue is just on one, where we have settings as below:

For the Directory with issues :

1.run of provisioning at 15:00

2.run of archive task at 17:00 - 24:00

we have 2 archive tasks with:

server1
number of concurrent connections to exchange server - 5
maximum number of items per target per pass : 200

server2
number of concurrent connections to exchange server - 5
maximum number of items per target per pass : 1000

We do not have any errors in logs for that issue.

All new users created on the corresponding exchange servers are NOT enabled.

@ Tony - yes , we have Archive mailboxes in this provisioning group checked

Thanks again

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Can you share the EV version for both environments?

Also, just to verify, how do you determine they are not enabled?  You aren't just looking for an archive are you?

Anelka
Level 3

Hi Tony,

We have EV server version 8, SP5 on all servers

When I login to users mailbox via OWA , no vault icons are available.

And from Vault console , when trying to disable the mailboxes for archiving the mailboxes are not found, but I can see them on Enable mailbox wizard.

Regards,

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Pretty sure it will be 'truly' enabled when the archiving task runs.

Working for cloudficient.com

JesusWept3
Level 6

it is definitely only enabled when the archiving task runs and not the provisioning
your best bet is to dtrace out the Archiving task, maybe with a filter for one of the users names that have been provisioned and awaiting enablement then you can see what is happening.

Anelka
Level 3

Hello,

Thank you for the advise JesusWept2, 

Maybe you can tell me , is there any priority of task that archive task is performing, like with first priority to enabled the provisioned new mailboxes, second to start auto archive for rest.

I done a dtrace , but I could not locate anything for my user. The dtrace was not running for the whole archive task schedule run, but only for the starting 30 minutes.

Thanks,