cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pushing all archived items back to a mailbox

HNayl
Not applicable
Is there a way to push all exisitng vault data for a single mailbox back to the source mailbox using the admin console?

The "export archives to their original mailbox" feature of the admin console places the vault items back in the mailbox but the placeholder stub email still remains......when I restore items myself from my Outlook client, the placeholder stub turns back into a mail icon and the full email data is present.

Is there any way to push all archived items back to a mailbox from an admin standpoint without having both the original email and archive stub present in the mail file?
3 REPLIES 3

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
No, this is the only way of pushing Items back via Admin Console.

I think if you delete the archive there may be a way to delete orphaned shortcuts.
(Exchange Policy -> Shortcut Deletion -> Orphaned Shortcuts / available since EV7, I think.)

Cheers
Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

andra_christie
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Basically when you use the export back to mailbox feature - it will replace the shortcuts with the original items BUT only if those shortcuts have not been moved from the location where they were originally archived. If shortcuts have been moved around in the mailbox (as often happens with users) only those items will have both the original and the shortcut left behind.

Hacing said that it is pretty easy to do a bulk delete of shortcuts from a single mailbox - follow the steps below

1. Open outlook and go to advanced find
2. Ensure that "Look In" is set to the root of the mailbox and you select to include subfolders
3. Click on the Advanced tab/ Define More Criteria/select All Mail Fields/Message Class
4. Type in ipm.note.enterprisevault.shortcut and click search
5. This will return all the shortcuts in the user's mailbox and you can select and delete them from the search results screen

Examples below:

If users have moved shortcuts around in their mailboxes the following will happen when you export back to mailbox -
1. items that were archived in a particular folder in outlook and not moved around will restore without an issue and restore the original items
2. items that were archived and then the shortcuts moved to a different folder will be restored as original items in the original folder where they were archived - not to the folder where the shortcut was moved to - this will result in shortcuts being left behind in the mailbox, those shortcuts will still work but they are essentially duplicates of the restored item and will need to be deleted manually. If the customer wants the structure they now have with the moved shortcuts - they can delete the restored item from the original place where it was archived and is now restored to and they can use the shortcut that is still in the location where they moved it, to restore the item to the location the shortcut resides in and then they can rearchive the item if they want. This will update the index with the item's new location.

Example
I have two folders in my outlook - Inbox and Test. I archive a bunch of items in Inbox and then move the shortcuts to test. If I do an export from archive back to mailbox I will end up with the restored mail items in the Inbox because that is where they were initially archived and it's the only location pointer Ev has to them in outlook (at the time of archive - after they become shortcuts we lose the ability to track them) - the shortcuts that I move to the Test folder remain there and are still accessible (I have not used the option to remove them from archive so they are still in the archive and can be accessed regardless of their location in my mailbox).
Now I have two options:
1. I can delete the items I just restored from inbox and manually restore the shortcuts in the Test folder, then I can archive them again which will update the index pointer.
2. I can delete the shortcuts in the test folder and move the restored items from the inbox to the test folder and re-archive them to update the index location.
3. I can just delete the shorcuts that were left behind in the test folder and move the restored mail items back in there if I no longer intend to use EV. This may be a bit difficult if there are a lot of items.

Travis_Peacock
Level 4
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone might have insite on something? I have a user with duplicate archives, both archives contain data. I am working on disabling the disconnected archive and exporting it into the active archive. My problems is maintaining the folder structure in outlook. I know that in the past we have imported psts and it messed up the folder structure in outlook. What settings on the restore to mailbox screen should be chosen to keep the structure intact? I am concerned about the settings on the bottom with folder path and sub folders. Oh and by the way we are running 6.0sp4. Or if the process which I listed above is not be best way to do this what is?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks,
Travis