Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on PST ingestion to deleted user account

Bruce_Cranksh1
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi All

I have a customer with the following issue

• They have users who have left the company, the Users AD account and Exchange mailbox have  been deleted but the EV archive is active and has not been deleted
  • We want to ingest old PST associated with the users that have left into the old EV archives

I get errors around this and my investigation reveals the following

• The PST ingestion process expects the EV archive to be associated with a valid Exchange mailbox, this is by design
  • So I created another AD user with a new Exchange Mailbox and thought I could Enable Mailbox and then Select Archive and choose the archive of the user that left

But I get an error that says " you cannot choose User x because it is already the archive for User x " 

So EV is still determining that the old Archive, User x, has an asscociation to the User x account in Exchange\AD ...and this is despite the fact the User x account and Mailbox has been deleted

So how would I " break  " this connection and assciate the User x archive with a new AD account and Mailbox

I hope this makes sense :)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

EVSupportVet
Level 3
Employee

Hello Bruce, 

This should take care of it: http://www.veritas.com/docs/000035991

Worst case, copy the PST's for this user to the EV server and run a manual import using the wizard.  Easier and quicker.  

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

EVSupportVet
Level 3
Employee

Hello Bruce, 

This should take care of it: http://www.veritas.com/docs/000035991

Worst case, copy the PST's for this user to the EV server and run a manual import using the wizard.  Easier and quicker.  

Bruce_Cranksh1
Level 6
Partner Accredited

That should work nicely, thanks :)

Bruce_Cranksh1
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Guys just an update around this and a very frustrating experience I had today that required a 4 support session to resolve 

In summary the article is correct but with EV 12 the moment you link the old archive with a new user account it renames the archive to the same name as the new user account 

This can create worry because I first thought the old archive had been deleted because it appears to " vanish "  from the VAC

But if you use tools like EV search the data within the archive is the same, anyway support suggested this may be a bug and the engineers said they would test this in there lab 

CConsult
Partner    VIP   

Iam pretty sure you can rename the root folder where the pst is getting imported to.

Archives do not get deleted by only removing its content.

What do you mean by appear to "vanish"?

And where are the data the same? in the old or new archive?

Bruce_Cranksh1
Level 6
Partner Accredited

This is about the actual archive name in the  VAC, not the structure within the archive

Let me explain the issue  in more detail, the User is Called User x and the archive in the VAC I want to asscociate the account is called Archive Y

Once I follow the procedure in the article the moment you "Select Archive " it renames Archive Y to User X, all the data is inside but initially the archive appeards to vanish from the VAC because now the name has changed

At first we didnt realize this was happening and it just seemed the old archive had vanished but it had just been automatically renamed , support said this is probably a bug