cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question regarding Notes on FSA shortcut creation

Magnus_SE
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

I got a question regarding Notes on FSA shortcut creation  'within the last' on the Time and Size tab and choose 'Create shortcut later' on the Shortcut

Creation tab, according to the manual if I use create shortcut later it can be that no shortcuts are created:

Be careful not to specify unintentionally a policy archiving rule that means
shortcuts are never created. If you use a time selection of 'within the last' on
the Time and Size tab and choose 'Create shortcut later' on the Shortcut
Creation tab, it is possible that Enterprise Vault never creates the shortcuts.
The conflict can occur because the File System Archiving task processes the
files that match the settings on 'TimeandSize' tab. If the task does not process
the file, the shortcut is not created.

Whenyou select 'Createshortcutlater' the file must match both the following
at the time you want the shortcut to be created:

■ The settings on the 'Time and Size' tab
■ The settings on the 'Shortcut Creation' tab

A customer got a FSA rule with the following settings, see atachment

I can see that data is being archived but no shorttcuts. So it have to do with the combination, but I cannot understand why the settings would do that.

Can someone explain this to me?

btw. I will change chortcut creation to create shortcuts immediately, that will do the trick, archive and shortcut after 6 month. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6

So basically the policy you have is to archive any items 1MB or larger and that was last modified 6 months ago (August 21st 2012)...and then it will turn it in to a shortcut after the item hasn't been accessed for 6 months.

So if you archived an item today , it will archive anything on or before August 21st 2012
But if it was opened on January 1st, then the item won't be shortcutted until June 1st

The thing about Access time that i'm not sure about....
Does Virus Scanning (either Scheduled or On Demand) cause the access time to be updated?
Does Offline synchronization to Windows client cause the access time to be updated?
Does EV Itself archiving the item cause the access time to be updated?

So lets say you have anti virus on the machine and its set not to exclude those items and then EV goes and archives it, on demand scanner then scans the item, and updates the last access date, that means it will be 6 months after the item is archived the item will be archived

For the items you know have archived and are expecting to be shortcutted.....
Look at the Last Accessed Time....

If you do a run now and wanted the items to be shortcutted, they would have to have a Modified Date AND Last Accessed Date of at lesat August 21st 2012 and earlier

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

JesusWept3
Level 6

So basically the policy you have is to archive any items 1MB or larger and that was last modified 6 months ago (August 21st 2012)...and then it will turn it in to a shortcut after the item hasn't been accessed for 6 months.

So if you archived an item today , it will archive anything on or before August 21st 2012
But if it was opened on January 1st, then the item won't be shortcutted until June 1st

The thing about Access time that i'm not sure about....
Does Virus Scanning (either Scheduled or On Demand) cause the access time to be updated?
Does Offline synchronization to Windows client cause the access time to be updated?
Does EV Itself archiving the item cause the access time to be updated?

So lets say you have anti virus on the machine and its set not to exclude those items and then EV goes and archives it, on demand scanner then scans the item, and updates the last access date, that means it will be 6 months after the item is archived the item will be archived

For the items you know have archived and are expecting to be shortcutted.....
Look at the Last Accessed Time....

If you do a run now and wanted the items to be shortcutted, they would have to have a Modified Date AND Last Accessed Date of at lesat August 21st 2012 and earlier

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Magnus_SE
Level 4

Thank Jesus! :)

you opened my eyes, Sorry for the post. lol I feel a bit dumb.  NOW I understand the problem.

But I am correct  I will change chortcut creation to create shortcuts immediately, that will do the trick, archive and shortcut after 6 month if the the document has not been modified.