cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions concerning SQL-EV for Exchange

Zenworks2001
Level 5

Hi,

I'm requesting your advices concerning migration of Vault SQL DBs.

First, We've 2 EV env. (v10.0.2) with 1 dedicated SQL server for EACH Vault site.

Now, I would like to know if it's possible to consolidate all Vault SQL DBs (including Enterprise Vault Directory) on one SQL server.

Based on "SQL Best Practices Guide" (ref.: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=DOC5365), this configuration seems supported but not recommanded. Do you have some experience with this type of configuration?

My second question is concerning compatibility between Vault v10.0.2 and SQL 2012 x64.

Based on the compatibility charts, Vault DBs v10.0.2 can be hosted on SQL 2012 x64 but some of your forum do not recommend that.

May be someone can clarify this point or has handle this type of configuration.

Many thanks for your feedback.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

If you have 2 EV-sites, each with it's own database, you will need to have 2 instances (1 for each current site) on the SQL server you want to consolidate to. If you have 1 ev-site, there is documentation on how to move databases from one sql-server to the other. If you spec your SQL server correct, and the EV-environment is not too busy (i.e. Journaling millions of mail a day), I am pretty sure EV can run on 1 SQL box using 2 instances.

I'm running EV10.04CHF2 on SQL2012x64 in several sites without issues. 10.0.2 should be fine too. The only thing is that you cannot use always-On.

Regards. Gertjan

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

If you have 2 EV-sites, each with it's own database, you will need to have 2 instances (1 for each current site) on the SQL server you want to consolidate to. If you have 1 ev-site, there is documentation on how to move databases from one sql-server to the other. If you spec your SQL server correct, and the EV-environment is not too busy (i.e. Journaling millions of mail a day), I am pretty sure EV can run on 1 SQL box using 2 instances.

I'm running EV10.04CHF2 on SQL2012x64 in several sites without issues. 10.0.2 should be fine too. The only thing is that you cannot use always-On.

Regards. Gertjan