cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ran low on disk space on my old store drive - services stopped

James_Slack
Level 6
As per title.

2 drives for stores, w: (old) and x: (new).

We stopped using W: last year as it started to get low and despite having no open stores, last night it has crept below the threshold where Vault shuts down it's services due to space.

What should I do?

I guess I would like to move one of the 12 closed stores onto the new drive and tell Vault where it has moved to somehow- if this is possible.

As a temp solution, I had to move part of a store over, just to get the services started and running even though I know it will break those mails fo now.

Any advice please?

Thanks all

James
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
You can also use the NoMonitor Registry key

NoMonitor
\SOFTWARE
\KVS
\Enterprise Vault
\AdminService

Content
DWORD

0 — Monitor resources

1 — Do not monitor resources

Description
The Admin Service automatically monitors memory and disk space resources, logging warnings in the Application Log if necessary and, in extreme cases, shutting down Enterprise Vault services. You can use NoMonitor to force the Admin Service not to monitor resources.

See also the Administration Help topic "Modifying the Admin Service" for more information about the Admin Service and a description of how to control monitoring by editing the Admin Service’s startup parameters.

And there is also start up parameters:
To modify the behavior of future instances of the Admin service

In the Windows Control Panel, double-click Services.
In the list of services, double-click Enterprise Vault Admin Service.
If the Admin service is running:
Click Stop.
When prompted to stop other Enterprise Vault services, click Yes.
In the Start Parameters box, type the parameters to use. The table below describes the options.

To do this
Type this start parameter

Specify the disks that the Admin service should monitor. By default, the service monitors all local hard disks.
/DISKS[=<list>]

where <list> specifies one or more disks to monitor. Do not include any spaces or tabs in the list. The colon (:) in the disk name is optional.

For example, to monitor disks C, E, and F only, type either of the following:

/DISKS=C:E:F:
/DISKS=CEF

To make this apply every time the Admin service starts, add the /SAVE parameter:

/DISKS=C:E:F: /SAVE
/DISKS=CEF /SAVE

To monitor all disks (this restores the default behavior):

/DISKS

Turn off monitoring for the instance of the Admin service that will start when you click Start in the Services control panel.
/NOMONITOR

Turn off monitoring every time the Admin service starts.
/NOMONITOR /SAVE

Turn on monitoring for the instance of the Admin service that will start when you click Start in the Services control panel.
/MONITOR

Turn on monitoring every time the Admin service starts.
/MONITOR /SAVE

Apply the changes every time the Admin service starts.
/SAVE

For example, to monitor disks E and F every time the Admin service starts, type the following:

/DISKS=EF /SAVE

Click Start to start the Admin service.
Start other Enterprise Vault services as necessary.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
It is possable to move vault stores

You can move some of your vailt stores to the new disk look here seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/273271.htm

Even if you close a vault store it is still possable for data to be written to it so making room on the old disk by moving some of your vault stores is advisable

TonySterling
You can also use the NoMonitor Registry key

NoMonitor
\SOFTWARE
\KVS
\Enterprise Vault
\AdminService

Content
DWORD

0 — Monitor resources

1 — Do not monitor resources

Description
The Admin Service automatically monitors memory and disk space resources, logging warnings in the Application Log if necessary and, in extreme cases, shutting down Enterprise Vault services. You can use NoMonitor to force the Admin Service not to monitor resources.

See also the Administration Help topic "Modifying the Admin Service" for more information about the Admin Service and a description of how to control monitoring by editing the Admin Service’s startup parameters.

And there is also start up parameters:
To modify the behavior of future instances of the Admin service

In the Windows Control Panel, double-click Services.
In the list of services, double-click Enterprise Vault Admin Service.
If the Admin service is running:
Click Stop.
When prompted to stop other Enterprise Vault services, click Yes.
In the Start Parameters box, type the parameters to use. The table below describes the options.

To do this
Type this start parameter

Specify the disks that the Admin service should monitor. By default, the service monitors all local hard disks.
/DISKS[=<list>]

where <list> specifies one or more disks to monitor. Do not include any spaces or tabs in the list. The colon (:) in the disk name is optional.

For example, to monitor disks C, E, and F only, type either of the following:

/DISKS=C:E:F:
/DISKS=CEF

To make this apply every time the Admin service starts, add the /SAVE parameter:

/DISKS=C:E:F: /SAVE
/DISKS=CEF /SAVE

To monitor all disks (this restores the default behavior):

/DISKS

Turn off monitoring for the instance of the Admin service that will start when you click Start in the Services control panel.
/NOMONITOR

Turn off monitoring every time the Admin service starts.
/NOMONITOR /SAVE

Turn on monitoring for the instance of the Admin service that will start when you click Start in the Services control panel.
/MONITOR

Turn on monitoring every time the Admin service starts.
/MONITOR /SAVE

Apply the changes every time the Admin service starts.
/SAVE

For example, to monitor disks E and F every time the Admin service starts, type the following:

/DISKS=EF /SAVE

Click Start to start the Admin service.
Start other Enterprise Vault services as necessary.

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
I really wish people would search before they just post....

James, next time use the search function on the top right please, this has been coverd a number of times.

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Tony,

I agree with the NoMonitor option but that's only a patch, and he already patched that bu copying off some of the vault stores for users. A move of the vault store is a permanent solution and even if James sets to NoMonitor option he will eventually have to move the vault store, increase the size of the partition where the old vault stores reside or expire items in the vault store to shrink them

Just trying to offer a permanent solution

Wayne,

Be nice

We have all panicked when we have a system go down

I think IT survive on nerves alone half of the time

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Well, If its a SEV on what is he doing on here asking the question, and by using the search he would have saved sheadloads more time than by posting, let alone waiting for replies.

This topic has been covered a number of times.

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Well I dont find issue with being asked.

We are here to help and I'm happy to answer or point someone to a post where it has already been answered

Knowledge is power so lets share it

James_Slack
Level 6
I post on a lot of forums where I know a lot about what I'm doing (not like this one I have to admit) and I know being an end user, already stuck on something, there is nothing worse than having to spend hours searching for what someone knows how to find in seconds. I never mind pointing people in the right direction as it really helps and lets people know that they are not alone. Which is all I was asking for here, pointing in the right direction - which is exactly what was done and I now have an exact plan.

Thanks to Scanner001 and Tony... I will be going with scanners solution, but had I have known Tony's one last night, that would have been what I did for a temp measure.

Thanks again!

Liam_Finn1
Level 6

James,

It is normal process here that if you find a solution to your issue then please make the post as the solution.

That way we dont keep watching the posts for changes

EV is a great product enjoy working with it

James_Slack
Level 6
Yes, I will and I expect this issue to be closed / resolved by tomorrow. Will leave this open till then to make sure.

Cheers again.

TonySterling
Liam,

I put the NoMonitor option to the post in case in the future someone else were to find it and not have the option to move the vault store partition to another location. There is also the option to swith the monitoring to MB instead of % free which comes in handy for extremly large drives.

MonitorDiskFreeMb
\Software
\KVS
\Enterprise Vault
\AdminService

Content
DWORD

Description
Forces disk monitoring of free space in megabytes instead of percent used.

If this is set then the Warning and Critical registry values must contain a value in megabytes instead of percentages from 0 to 100.

Regards,

James_Slack
Level 6
Many thanks Liam and Tony !!

Both of you gave good advice and I am now back up and running and can go back to struggling through my AD migrations :)

All the best - James