Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebalance vault store partitions?

francisvd
Level 4
Partner

Small question about an EV 7.5 SP4 setup:

There currently is 1 big vault store partition on a CIFS share (1TB of data) with archived emails.

They cannot backup the share anymore: Takes too much time and often fails.

So I want to add a new partition (in state ‘open’, example 300GB in size) to the same store and close the old partition.

But I also want to move some of the DVS files from the old partition to the new partition, so that the old one becomes smaller and can be backed up.

Is this possible?

Maybe in EV8 or 9?

Thanks in advance

Francis

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

NOOOO, dont use collections, use a new VS partition like you suggest. Using collections has a number of disadvantages.

Take a look here before you consider using collections please:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/idea/collections-or-no-collections

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

If you have different vaults within the store then yes you can use the Move Vault feature to move the data to a new vault

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You can not just move dvs files around. EV 8 sp 4 introduced Move Archive which Scanner mentioned.  You could also use a third party utility like Archive Shuttle from EVTools.net.

Another option to look at is enabling Collections on the partition to create cab files to help the backups be more efficient.

Regardless of what you do you should get to at least EV 8 and I would recommend going all the way to EV 9.

Nick_White
Level 6
Employee

If you enable collections you can also enable collection migration which will take older cab files and move them out to tape

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

NOOOO, dont use collections, use a new VS partition like you suggest. Using collections has a number of disadvantages.

Take a look here before you consider using collections please:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/idea/collections-or-no-collections