cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reminders still popping up w/EV2007 SP2

Brian_Day
Level 6

The EV2007 SP2 release notes claim....

Invitees received repeated reminders when meeting requests were archived [Ref 752047, E1144658]

The archiving of meeting requests caused invitees to receive multiple reminders, even after the reminders had been dismissed.

This has been fixed.

We disabled archiving for IPM.Appointment.* and IPM.Schedule.Meeting.* because of this problem when EV2007 RTM came out.

This weekend we upgraded to EV2007 SP2 and turned on IPM.Appointment.* and IPM.Schedule.Meeting.* again to see what would happen. Immediately after the first archive task ran some users complained old meeting reminders were back again. Has anyone else seen this behaviour? I'm tempted to let it run for a week this way to see if it continues to happen or was a freakish one-time thing.

Thanks,

brian

p.s.

I'm going to try and collect the following information from our users in the event that it becomes helpful down the road.

1. Was it a reoccurring meeting or a single-instance meeting?

2. If it was a reoccurring meeting, was it the original meeting instance or one of the subsequent instances?

3. Were there any file attachments before the item was vaulted?

Message Edited by Brian Day on 02-25-2008 01:03 PM
22 REPLIES 22

Brian_Day
Level 6
Well....

Either my user community doesn't like to talk to me anymore, or the problem died down/went away. :) Only the same 5-6 users which complained on Monday are the same ones who've said they saw it happen... but supposedly only 1 new instance. I'm going to leave calendar archiving on for now unless people start to complain in large numbers.

Brian_Day
Level 6
Ugh. I got bit myself by the bug this morning. Three old appointments showed up, 3 weeks old, 8 weeks old, and 12 weeks old. They are all instances of a monthly reoccuring meeting. Looks like a call into support to see why this still is happening is required on Monday.

Something to keep in mind. We use quota-based archiving so the you never quote know what will be archived each night.

February 7th = 3 weeks overdue
January 3rd = 8 weeks overdue
December 6th = 12 weeks overdue

I don't know if all 3 were archived last night or if just the one from the Feb 7th was, but it for some reason triggered the other 2 to pop up agian as well.

Message Edited by Brian Day on 03-01-2008 10:12 AM

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Sorry to hear that Brian, does it only happen on these recurring appt's?

Brian_Day
Level 6

@Tony Sterling wrote:
Sorry to hear that Brian, does it only happen on these recurring appt's?

The users whom got back to me say it is both single-instance and reoccuring appointments. I edited my post just above yours with a couple more details (we use quote-based archiving).

I wonder if it is worth changing myself over to age-based archiving to get abetter grasp on exactly what calendar items are archiving each night. It might make diagnosing the problem or at least collecting the facts a little easier.

Message Edited by Brian Day on 03-01-2008 10:15 AM

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
Hi,

Is it an IPM.Appointment or ipm.schedule.meeting.request?

Brian_Day
Level 6

@The Dodo wrote:
Hi,

Is it an IPM.Appointment or ipm.schedule.meeting.request?

Hey there, Dodo.

This particular one appears to be IPM.Appointment, and it was first created on 6/7/2007 with recurrence every 1st Thursday of the month.

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
Hi,

So this is a meeting that's still going on, so in theory EV shouldn't have actually archived it.  That how you see it?

Brian_Day
Level 6

@The Dodo wrote:
Hi,

So this is a meeting that's still going on, so in theory EV shouldn't have actually archived it.  That how you see it?

Yup, I believe that to be correct in this case. We've had reports of non-recurrence meetings popping up as well, but I haven't personally gotten any. I am heading out for the evening, but can check anything you need in the morning or on Monday.

Brian_Day
Level 6
Another one today for me. This one from February 29th. This is only 10 days ago which does not even meet our 14 day age requirement for archiving. It is another recurring meeting, originally created 1/19/2007 and happens every second Friday with no end date.

Message Edited by Brian Day on 03-10-2008 10:24 AM

Brian_Day
Level 6
Case 311-863-868 just opened for this. We had an old case 311-708-762 for it as well, but I think it is too old to reopen.

Bruce_A__Bosco
Level 4
Has support been able to help you with this? We have recently decided to start archiving calendar items and are experiencing the same problem.

Brian_Day
Level 6
Not yet, the frontline girl was passing it to a backline guy this morning. We gave them DTRACE commands REGISTRY and VERSION information for all EV servers yesterday.

Message Edited by Brian Day on 03-13-2008 12:53 PM

Brian_Day
Level 6
No update from support since 10:17AM EST yesterday.

Brian_Day
Level 6
The only update is there is no update. It sounds like it hasn't gone to backline support yet from an email I got from a tech this morning.

David__Turner
Level 2
I am still running EV2007 SP1 and I am having the same issue. Well my boss is having the issue and I am schedule to begin pushing the client out this week. So a fix for me is crucial please contact me asap if anyone has a solution.

Brian_Day
Level 6

@David Turner wrote:
I am still running EV2007 SP1 and I am having the same issue. Well my boss is having the issue and I am schedule to begin pushing the client out this week. So a fix for me is crucial please contact me asap if anyone has a solution.

Hi David,

It was supposed to be fixed in EV2007 SP2, but even after applying SP2 we're having the issue. I'll keep the thread up to date as our ticket with support continues.

Brian_Day
Level 6
Ok, I spoke with the frontline tech.

We've been asked to not dismiss any old reminders which show up so we can look at them closer with a utility called Outlook Spy. We need to get some affected users on the phone with support at the same time they see the reminders.

So far the recurring meetings which keep popping up for me (still need to check other users too) have not shown up in my vault, which logically means they have not been archived, yet then there is no explanation for why the reminders are coming back if.

Quite odd....

So I'm in a holding pattern until my next user reports an old reminder showing up, then we'll all try to jump on the phone again.

Bruce_A__Bosco
Level 4
We have a ticket with Symantec open on this issue as well. Unfortunately we are on EV 2007 SP1 and are not in the position to upgrade to SP2 at this time.

Symantec claims that if you are on 2007 sp2 on both the server and client the issue is resolved. The tech I spoke with said every ticket with this problem thus far has been resolved if both the server and client are on sp2. For those that are currently experiencing this problem have you upgraded the client also?

One point the tech was not sure about but said he would test it in their lab was if the calendar item was archived prior to SP2 will simply upgrading the server and client to sp2 resolve the issue or do those problem items need to be unarchived then re-archived in sp2.

Brian_Day
Level 6

@bruce A. Bosco wrote:
We have a ticket with Symantec open on this issue as well. Unfortunately we are on EV 2007 SP1 and are not in the position to upgrade to SP2 at this time.

Symantec claims that if you are on 2007 sp2 on both the server and client the issue is resolved. The tech I spoke with said every ticket with this problem thus far has been resolved if both the server and client are on sp2. For those that are currently experiencing this problem have you upgraded the client also?

One point the tech was not sure about but said he would test it in their lab was if the calendar item was archived prior to SP2 will simply upgrading the server and client to sp2 resolve the issue or do those problem items need to be unarchived then re-archived in sp2.

Hi Bruce,

I have personally been using the SP2 since before we applied SP2 to the servers (they were SP1 before) and have still been having these odd anomalies. I know not all of the users are on the SP2 client yet.