Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore Public Folders - No Shortcuts

Wallace44
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi All,

At some point in time, one of the techs I work with, set EV not to create shortcuts on archived items in the public folder for one of our clients.

I now have the issue that the client does not want to go into the vault explorer to view emails, but wants to have shortcuts to items. I tried to use the registry "hack" that forces EV to re-create shortcuts, but that only works on items that HAD shortcuts originally. Since these items were archived without shortcuts being made, it had no effect.

This brings me to my question;

Is there a way I can restore all the emails in a public folder archive back into exchange? This way, I can adjust the policy settings, punch the other tech in the throat, and then re-archive everything with the correct settings. Or... is there a way I can force EV to create shortcuts to items already archived?

I am trying to avoid going to the EV vault explorer site and selecting pages of emails, and trying to restore baskets. With 770,000 (the client is an insurance broker and has to keep all their emails) emails in the public folder archive... it's going to take years to do it that way.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Will

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mashles
Level 3
Partner

I am guessing from your description that it is set up to delete the item from the PF in exchange as well as not creating a shortcut. You didnt really make it clear if you still have the item in the PF.

If you dont have the items in the PF, then I'm not sure what the reaction from support would be for doing this, but you could change the archivetype of your public folder archive in SQL from type 33 to type 9 using this query. As always when doing anything in SQL, be very careful and take a directory database backup first, if you dont really feel comfortable in SQL then dont try this.

Use enterprisevaultdirectory
update archiveview
set type = '9'
where archivename = 'NAME_OF_ARCHIVE' and type = '33'

After that you can export the archive to PST/a mailbox using the export wizard available when right clicking on Archives in admin console.

Once you have the archive as a PST file/in a mailbox you can copy that data back into the public folder.

Change the type back to 33:

update archiveview
set type = '33'
where archivename = 'NAME_OF_ARCHIVE' and type = '9'

If you want, at this point you could delete the old archive and make a new one to avoid duplicates. Either way, you can then try an archiving run against the folder with the new policy and you should get what you want. If it does not archive the items then its because they have a restore date marked on them, in which case you can set this reg key to 3 to ignore any stamped ev dates:

HKLM\Software\KVS\Enterprise Vault\Agents
DWORD (Binary): IgnoreEVDates

0 = Off
1 = Ignore Archived date
2 = Ignore Restored date
3 = Ignore both Archived and Restored date

Restart the task controller service after that and try your archive run against that PF again.

Hope that helps!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Unfortunately there is not much you can do, EV stamps the messages with hidden properties that you'd have to remove first and then have it rearchive, which would then end up causing duplicates in the archive Also for items that have been deleted, you can't recreate shortcuts One way you could do it though and this is painful and impossible is to delete all of the email in PF that exists in the archive, then restore the email from the archive and then rearchive using ignore evdates, but that would be impractical at best
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Wallace44
Level 3
Partner Accredited

crap.

You suggest to delete the email and restore the email from the archive? How do I restore from the archive? Is the only way to do it through the browser?

I'm not so fussed if there are duplicates in the archive - it's not ideal, but I am running very short on options.

Thanks.

Will.

JesusWept3
Level 6

If you genuinely don't care about duplicates, contact support, there was a script written for a customer that did this for user mailboxes, and then they wanted a shortcut, the script trawled through each mailbox and folder and found items stamped with the EV Properties and deleted it from the messages.

After this Enterprise Vault will believe its a new message and then re-archive it, and again, will cause duplicates, which hopefully at least will mostly be SIS'd, but anything through AE will show two for each of those items.

Ignore my way of deleting the items and then restoring them, you will get Repetitive Strain Injury from all the clicking

mashles
Level 3
Partner

I am guessing from your description that it is set up to delete the item from the PF in exchange as well as not creating a shortcut. You didnt really make it clear if you still have the item in the PF.

If you dont have the items in the PF, then I'm not sure what the reaction from support would be for doing this, but you could change the archivetype of your public folder archive in SQL from type 33 to type 9 using this query. As always when doing anything in SQL, be very careful and take a directory database backup first, if you dont really feel comfortable in SQL then dont try this.

update archiveview
set type = '9'
where archivename = 'NAME_OF_ARCHIVE' and type = '33'

After that you can export the archive to PST/a mailbox using the export wizard available when right clicking on Archives in admin console.

Once you have the archive as a PST file/in a mailbox you can copy that data back into the public folder.

Change the type back to 33:

update archiveview
set type = '33'
where archivename = 'NAME_OF_ARCHIVE' and type = '9'

If you want, at this point you could delete the old archive and make a new one to avoid duplicates. Either way, you can then try an archiving run against the folder with the new policy and you should get what you want. If it does not archive the items then its because they have a restore date marked on them, in which case you can set this reg key to 3 to ignore any stamped ev dates:

HKLM\Software\KVS\Enterprise Vault\Agents
DWORD (Binary): IgnoreEVDates

0 = Off
1 = Ignore Archived date
2 = Ignore Restored date
3 = Ignore both Archived and Restored date

Restart the task controller service after that and try your archive run against that PF again.

Hope that helps!

Wallace44
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Thanks for that.

Sorry - i didn't mention, but the emails are no longer in the public folder. They were also deleted.

I will contact support and failing that will try this. It's got to be better than manually restoring emails.

Thanks.

Will.

JesusWept3
Level 6
Mashies solution is the only viable one there is as the script I mentioned was for when emails exist but they are just not shortcutted

Wallace44
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Thanks to both of you.

Changing the type, restoring and then dragging back to the public folder is working. It's not the fastest process - but i've done worse things.

Thanks again!

Will.