cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retention Change

PiperBob
Level 3

Hello:

I had someone tell me that with the latest EV version, I can now go back and change the retention policy on mailboxes that already exist in the vault. I looked through the SP3 notes and didn't see a reference.

Currently we have a deleted user policy that is shorter then our proposed retention policy. The thought is we could change the user and let the software automatically cleanup on the accelerated schedule. 

5 REPLIES 5

Amit_Gupta
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified
Well, I haven't head about it. All messages are still tagged with the retention catrgory names. If you change the retention period on the retention category already tagged with archived message, the new message would be handled as per the new retention time. But then, its not user specific.

patrickkuah
Level 6

Yup ...Amit is rite :) once the items are archived, EV will tag the name of the retetion category not the years...

PiperBob
Level 3

What if I have a 2nd group that has a shorter retention timeframe of say 3 years. The fist group was say 5 years. Messages already vaulted would have the 5 year retention. With the account in the new group, can I reapply the retention policy against the already vaulted messages?

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Sorry to say that feature that is not available. 

You can modify the existing policy and it will apply to all items already vaulted but you cant create a new policy and have it effect already archived items. Any new policy will only effect items from the time applied forward.

One of the feature requests i have submitted with Symantec but no idea if or when they can make that happen

PiperBob
Level 3
I was pretty sure we could not do what I was told. Thanks for the quick replies!