cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retroactive retention change (mailbox)

ianG
Level 5

Hopefully just a quick few queries about the above, just looking for confirmation really.

Example, we have a mailbox archived via an automatic policy, such that mails over 30 days are archived, and retained for 7 years.

- If we subsequently change this retention, am I right in saying that it would only be new items archived since that change that would have the new retention applied?

- And then if we recall items, those items would, when 're-archived', have the new retention applied?

- Caveat to the last one above, is that we archive to Centera, so I'm presuming if the retention was to change, and be decreased, then the Centera would look to the longest retention and use whatever that is..?

Am I correct in all the above?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

answers in line..

- If we subsequently change this retention, am I right in saying that it would only be new items archived since that change that would have the new retention applied?

Only if you actually change the retention category.  If you change the length of retention for a retention category it will apply to all items that were assigned that category.

- And then if we recall items, those items would, when 're-archived', have the new retention applied?

Not necessarily, you would need to restore them and delete the corresponding archived item.  You can also use Moved Items and allow the retention to be updated if the item is moved to a folder that has a different retention

- Caveat to the last one above, is that we archive to Centera, so I'm presuming if the retention was to change, and be decreased, then the Centera would look to the longest retention and use whatever that is..?

It depends on what mode your Centera is in, but if it is enforcing retention and not allow deletes then you can't shorten the retention period.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

answers in line..

Only if you actually change the retention category.  If you change the length of retention for a retention category it will apply to all items that were assigned that category.

Not necessarily, you would need to restore them and delete the corresponding archived item.  You can also use Moved Items and allow the retention to be updated if the item is moved to a folder that has a different retention

It depends on what mode your Centera is in, but if it is enforcing retention and not allow deletes then you can't shorten the retention period.