Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL 2012 Compression

Bruce_Cranksh1
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi All

A customer is asking me if EV supports compression of the  SQL databases in SQL  2012

Apparently SQL 2012 allows you to compress its databases, Would this work with EV 11 sp1 ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi Bruce, long time no speak..

Could it be customer means 'shrink'?

Some googling shows the below. From reading this, I would NOT use this until Symantec explicitely states it is supported. Contact the PM to get a confirmation.

From the web:

Compression is available only in the Enterprise Edition of SQL Server

SQL Server provides two methods, Page and Row compression, to reduce data storage on disk and speed I/O performance by reducing the amount of I/O required for transaction processing. Page and row compression work in different, yet complementary, ways and are worth further discussion.

Page compression uses an algorithm called “deduplication.” When deduplicating, as the name implies, SQL Server looks for duplicate values that appear again and again within the data page. For example, the table HumanResources.Employee in the AdventureWorks2012 database contains an nvarchar(50) column called JobTitle. This column contains many duplicate values—things like “Design Engineer” and Research and Development Manager.” These values might appear many times on a single data page. Using page compression, SQL Server can remove such duplicate values within a data page by replacing each duplicate value with a tiny pointer to a single appearance of the full value. (Incidentally, this is known as “dictionary-based compression.”)

By comparison, row compression does not actually use a compression algorithm per se. Instead, when row compression is enabled, SQL Server simply removes any extra, unused bytes in a fixed data type column, such as a CHAR(50) column.

Page and row compression are not compatible, but by enabling page compression SQL Server automatically includes row compression. You can also specify compression per partition, so partitioned tables could have multiple compression specifications at once.

Regards. Gertjan

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

do you mean compression for backups?

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi Bruce, long time no speak..

Could it be customer means 'shrink'?

Some googling shows the below. From reading this, I would NOT use this until Symantec explicitely states it is supported. Contact the PM to get a confirmation.

From the web:

Compression is available only in the Enterprise Edition of SQL Server

SQL Server provides two methods, Page and Row compression, to reduce data storage on disk and speed I/O performance by reducing the amount of I/O required for transaction processing. Page and row compression work in different, yet complementary, ways and are worth further discussion.

Page compression uses an algorithm called “deduplication.” When deduplicating, as the name implies, SQL Server looks for duplicate values that appear again and again within the data page. For example, the table HumanResources.Employee in the AdventureWorks2012 database contains an nvarchar(50) column called JobTitle. This column contains many duplicate values—things like “Design Engineer” and Research and Development Manager.” These values might appear many times on a single data page. Using page compression, SQL Server can remove such duplicate values within a data page by replacing each duplicate value with a tiny pointer to a single appearance of the full value. (Incidentally, this is known as “dictionary-based compression.”)

By comparison, row compression does not actually use a compression algorithm per se. Instead, when row compression is enabled, SQL Server simply removes any extra, unused bytes in a fixed data type column, such as a CHAR(50) column.

Page and row compression are not compatible, but by enabling page compression SQL Server automatically includes row compression. You can also specify compression per partition, so partitioned tables could have multiple compression specifications at once.

Regards. Gertjan

Bruce_Cranksh1
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi Guys

Yes Gert that must be what they are referring to as it is Enterprise Edition 

I'll send my query to the PM :)