cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL databases compatibility problems...

jhbermejo
Level 3

Hi mates,

we are running EV 8.0 SP2 for FSA and recently updated our SQL2000 SP5 to SQL2005 SP3. We are planning an EV upgrade to 9.0 SP2 version.

Everything is working fine, but when I ran the Deployment Scanner for EV 9.0 SP2 I got a
SQL Database Compatibility problem. I checked all my EV databases' compatibility level were 80 (that stands for SQL2000 version).

I executed this procedure to change compatibility to SQL 2005 version:

EXEC sp_dbcmptlevel 'EV_Database', 90

and now all our EV databases have this compatibility level (90).

Anyway, Deployment Scanner is still failing at that point:

"At least one test for the SQL database compatibility mode has failed. For information on changing a database compatibility level, see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb510680.aspx. For the latest information on supported compatibility modes, see the Enterprise Vault Compatibility Charts at http://entsupport.symantec.com/docs/276547"

Any ideas?

Thx

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nathan_Clark_2
Level 4
Employee

So the DB compat is ok.

Check this key and tell me what do you see:

_HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,_T("SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\MSSQLSERVER\\MSSQLSERVER\\CurrentVersion"),_T("CurrentVersion")

Both under 32 and 64 bit part of registry key.

Also since this call uses WMI to access the machine for checking the registry key, does the user (VSA) has the local admin permission on the SQL box? Because if not we will not be able to open the registry location and it will fail.

Thanks

Nathan

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Nathan_Clark_2
Level 4
Employee

Thats odd Im sure it just does a SELECT cmptlevel FROM sysdatabases where Name like 'EV%' or Name like 'EnterpriseVault%' and check they are not less than 90.

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi

If you run the above mentioned query (SELECT name, compatibility_level FROM sys.databases)

What does it show for the EV databases?

Regards. Gertjan

jhbermejo
Level 3

Hi guys,

thank both for the quick response.

I've ran the query you suggested and these are the results (concerning to EV databases):

Name                                Compatibility Level
--------------------------               -------------------
EVaultStore1                      90
EnterpriseVaultMonitoring    90
EnterpriseVaultAudit            90
EnterpriseVaultDirectory      90
EVaultStore2                      90
EVaultStore3                      90
EVaultStore4                      90

Nathan_Clark_2
Level 4
Employee

ok do all the other SQL check work ok? are you using instances? Can you take a screenshot of the error?

thanks

Nathan

GertjanA

Hi JH,

The database being reported, is that an EV database?

I've seen DBA's creating test mailboxes, and call then EVxxxx (or Enterxxxx) which makes deploymentscanner think it is an EV database.

Also, in your list (but might be a 'visual') I see behind the audit database a space, than 90. Is that how it shows? If so, perhaps you need to remove the space in front of it.

Regards. Gertjan

jhbermejo
Level 3

Hello,

I copied-pasted the output for the query "SELECT name, compatibility_level FROM sys.databases", so maybe I typed an extra space for the '90' in Audit Database... :( I'm sorry for that.

This is the screenshoot for this query against all our databases: 

And also here it is rhe screenshot for the error found in Deployment Scanner:

Any ideas? I'm lack of them...

TonySterling

Can you re-run the deployment scanner from EV 8?  Do you get the same results?

Also, how many instances do you have on the SQL server?  Just a shot in the dare but do all the db's have the same mode?

jhbermejo
Level 3

Hi Tony,

I've run the Deployment Scanner for EV 8 (our current version), but it does not check SQL compatibilities issues, so I guess it's not usefull for me now :(

I'm afraid I cannot catch your idea, what do you mean with "all bd's have the same mode"?

Nathan_Clark_2
Level 4
Employee

So the DB compat is ok.

Check this key and tell me what do you see:

_HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,_T("SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\MSSQLSERVER\\MSSQLSERVER\\CurrentVersion"),_T("CurrentVersion")

Both under 32 and 64 bit part of registry key.

Also since this call uses WMI to access the machine for checking the registry key, does the user (VSA) has the local admin permission on the SQL box? Because if not we will not be able to open the registry location and it will fail.

Thanks

Nathan

TonySterling

Sorry that was a typo, it should be all db's.  Are all the databases on the sql server, even the ones in other instances, on the same compatibility level

jhbermejo
Level 3

No worries, there's only an instance in our SQL and all our databases are at the same compatibility level (90)...

jhbermejo
Level 3

Hey Nathan,

Maybe you are guiding me on the correct path...

Although when I run the query Select @@version it clearly shows that we're on 2005 version (Microsoft SQL Server 2005 - 9.00.4035.00 (Intel X86)

...this is the value of the CurrentVersion key under HKLM\Software\MSSQLServer\MSSQLServer: 8.00.194, which seems to be still pointing to old version, SQL 2000 ...   This key has a value 9.00.4035.00 in a test-environment 2005 SP3 SQL server

I think it will be a good idea to save a copy of the Regedit and will change this value and then re-run the deployment scanner again. (But firstly we need to remove SQL 2000 from our systems, which is easier said than done...)

Will tell you soon.

Thank you!