cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Second EVDG for Additional Domain?

philquinney
Level 3
Hello Everyone,

We're in the process of rebranding out Domino Domain structure - at the moment our domain is UK_CompanyA and will change to UK_CompanyB. Our existing EVDG is a Domino 8.0.1 (with the relevant hotfixes) in Domino Domain UK_CompanyA. There are approx 350 users in UK_CompanyA, and all but about 40 of them will move to the new domain: UK_CompanyB.

To allow us to continue archiving users who move to the new domain I added the new domain into the EV Admin Console, and registered a user in the new domain so that I had an ID with administrative rights in the domain for EV to run under.

However, when running the Domino Provisioning task for UK_COMPANYB, I get this error in the EV Event logs:

There are no available Enterprise Vault Domino Gateway servers in domain 'UK_CompanyB'.

Here come the questions.... :)

1) Is it absolutely necessary to have one EVDG per domain? Given that there are only going to be 40 users left in UK_CompanyA it seems a waste to be paying for Domino licenses for two EVDG's.

2) If we can use the existing EVDG how do we designate this as the EVDG for the new domain?

This is in an Enterprise Vault 8.0 SP1 environment, on Windows 2003 SP2. The Domino Server for the new Domain is running Domino 8.5 Fix Pack 1.

Thanks for reading this far, and if anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate hearing them.

Thanks,

Phil.
1 REPLY 1

philquinney
Level 3

Hey Everyone,

I've just found this in the Introduction and Planning Guide:

Domino mailbox archiving requires at least one Enterprise Vault Domino Gateway for each Domino domain.

So, this would mean that an EVDG is definitely required in both of the domains. The mail server for our new domain is running Domino 8.5, and this isn't yet supported for the EVDG.

- Can anyone at Symantec give any indication if 8.5 will be supported as an EVDG in the near future (eg with Service Pack 3 for 8.0)

- If yes, can we install the EVDG onto a server which is being used for serving mail as well?

Thanks again,

Phil.