cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selected Item could not be restored - Archive restore

fasoy
Level 4
Hi,

This issue is related to users who are using machines which are part of separate forest / domain but they have user accounts / mailboxes in EV deployed domain.

User logs on to domain one which is NT 4.0 and then open outlook which asks for username and password for mailbox in Windows 2003 domain where mailbox and EV exists.

They are able to read archived emails if they double click the item.
They are able to restore items if they use search option
They are able to open archive explorer with no issues
They are not able to restore item when choose to restore from EV Icon in outlook and error says

"The selected Item could not be restore" "Enterprise Vault is not running at the moment so none of the Enterprise Vault functionality is available"

They are able to ping all the EV servers and most of the functionality is normal apart from restore.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Paul_Grimshaw
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Your Issue in the client log is on this line:-

06/02/2009 09:44:43.173[4072]: ~CCommands::DoRestore: 0xC0040BFB

Now that does not really mean much to anybody so you will just have to trust me when I say that this, as already indicated, usually points to a DCOM issue. The technote beolw indicates ports used by EV:-

http://support.veritas.com/docs/307238

Also to use the lite client (HTTP) instead of the full client (DCOM) there are a couple of ways of doing this:-

1. Via the policy by doing the following:-
Double click on the Exchange Mailbox policy for that user
Advanced Tab
Select Outlook from the dropdown list
Outlook Add-In behavior
Set this to HTTP-only
Sync the change to this user only

The only thing about doing it this way is if a sync occurs for everybody whilst this setting is in place then all people will get it. This is not the end of the world as you can change it back and run a sync again but just be aware of it. This really should just be a quick test for that user to confirm that when you do use HTTP that it works.

2. From our software install the HTTP-only Outlook Add-In MSI

If it works when using HTTP then you know you have some sort of firewall issue. So you have 2 choices which are to try and fix that or just use HTTP only.

If it still does not work when using HTTP then there are other troubleshooting techniques such as:-

1. Logon to that machine as a user that does work elsewhere. Do they now not work or do they still work. If they still work then this would indicate a specific profile issue.
2. Does this user work if he/she logs onto another client.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
I guess that's something with DCOM.
Could check this:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/284802.htm

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

fasoy
Level 4
Hi Michel,

Thanks for the response but I have already checked that and its enabled.

Also clients are able to ping the vault site alias as well, they have DNS Suffix added for the EV domain.

Thanks,

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Could you try to enable client tracing (CTRL + SHIFT + Click on a EV Symbol in Outlook), then reproduce the problem (i.e. restore an item).
Could you then send us the logfile (you would have to attach it to your original post as an attachment), or examine it yourself?

Cheers

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

fasoy
Level 4

Log file attached, this log file was sent to me by user yesterday and I dont know what to look for....

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
Hi,

So the client is using the full client and therefore DCOM to communicate the restore request.  If you set the client policy to use the lite client, does restore work (I expect so).

I wonder if perhaps it's not a firewall issue letting the DCOM requests through.  It's going to be something like that.

Mike

fasoy
Level 4

Mike,

We have not tried lite client, honestly I dont know how to change a client to lite?

There is definately a firewall in between. If its firewall do you know what do we need to verify to confirm? or what to open for DCOM on the firewall?

Thanks,

Paul_Grimshaw
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Your Issue in the client log is on this line:-

06/02/2009 09:44:43.173[4072]: ~CCommands::DoRestore: 0xC0040BFB

Now that does not really mean much to anybody so you will just have to trust me when I say that this, as already indicated, usually points to a DCOM issue. The technote beolw indicates ports used by EV:-

http://support.veritas.com/docs/307238

Also to use the lite client (HTTP) instead of the full client (DCOM) there are a couple of ways of doing this:-

1. Via the policy by doing the following:-
Double click on the Exchange Mailbox policy for that user
Advanced Tab
Select Outlook from the dropdown list
Outlook Add-In behavior
Set this to HTTP-only
Sync the change to this user only

The only thing about doing it this way is if a sync occurs for everybody whilst this setting is in place then all people will get it. This is not the end of the world as you can change it back and run a sync again but just be aware of it. This really should just be a quick test for that user to confirm that when you do use HTTP that it works.

2. From our software install the HTTP-only Outlook Add-In MSI

If it works when using HTTP then you know you have some sort of firewall issue. So you have 2 choices which are to try and fix that or just use HTTP only.

If it still does not work when using HTTP then there are other troubleshooting techniques such as:-

1. Logon to that machine as a user that does work elsewhere. Do they now not work or do they still work. If they still work then this would indicate a specific profile issue.
2. Does this user work if he/she logs onto another client.

kkate
Level 5
Accredited
check proxy setings in ie, try to bypass proxy.

fasoy
Level 4

Thanks Paul and everyone else, I tried the lite client and it works fine for the user.

There is a firewall in between and I am verifying if all the ports are opened as per the article.

Thanks,