cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storage Best practice question

ThijsW
Level 2
Hi all,

Doe anyone kwno where I can find best practice documentation about storage configuration? I did find a "Best practices for Storage Management with Enterprise Vault" presentation, and I know it is to creat multiple partitions for backup efficiency and secondary storage to cut storage costs (but please correct me if I'm wrong). But I cannot find examples of the best way to combine the two methods.

- If I have say 5 partitions, and I want to migrate items older than say 2 years to secondary (offline) storage, do i need to configure a secondary partition for every primary partition?

- Any documentation about the best way to backup this multi-tiered storage? What about Primary archive storage<->Secondary archive storage (cheaper disk)<->Offile archive storage?

I anyone can point me to documentation about this I would be very grateful.

2 REPLIES 2

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Hi

Storage highly depends on your individual configuration.
There is no "one-size-fits-all"

Personally, I do not recommend offline storage, mainly for those reasons:
- Index rebuild (randomly reads from secondary storage)
- Offline Vault / Vault Cache enablement/rebuild (same)

Partitions, with EV8, can be rolled over based on time or size, or even both.
So you could create a new partition every year, over every 500 GB or whatever.
It's recommended to create a new partition every once in a while, mainly for backup reasons to split it up.

You may be interested in the Backup Whitepaper:
https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/enterprise-vault-best-practiceev-backups

Cheers

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Hi

Do you need any more information here?
If not, and you are satisfied with a provided answer, can you choose this as Solution, please?

Thanks & Regards
Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.