cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec FSA

jwallen21
Level 4

Hey Guys,

We are working on including FSA onto our Enterprise vault Server. We are currently using version 10 for evault. We have built a FSA server and working on adding it to Enterprise vault and setting up a directory inside of the server for it. Taking a step back I am trying to get my head around why we need to have a server added into Enterprise vault instead of using our castor caringo system directly with our Enterprise vault system. It seems like a waste to build out an server just as a repository then shipped to our castor caringo system later for further archival. I would rather just create a linix server if it is only going to be a repostory server. Am i missing the point of FSA or just dont understand how it is suppose to work? Suggestions would be great....

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

FSA can be configured to inherit file permissions at the folder/share level and that's the recommended approach.

Can it be used for other things besides email or sharepoint? - There's really too much to post here. Please have a quick look at http://www.symantec.com/enterprise-vault

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

AndrewB

several of the main points of EV FSA are data tiering, data retention policies, file blocking, and pass-thru recall. since you already have EV (for email or sharepoint i'm assuming) then EV FSA can also single instance across the data sets and further reduce your storage footprint. does CAStor do those things for you? if so, then FSA might be redundant

jwallen21
Level 4

Yes we use EV for email. Castor is manily for archival purposes only which allows us to get data off of the expensive drives to lower end ones. I do think it is a waste to have a windows server (wasted instance) being used as a repository when nothing needs to be installed on the server. Permissions can be set up on EV for FSA? So FSA would help us with a couple of those items but can it be used for other things besides email or sharepoint?

AndrewB

FSA can be configured to inherit file permissions at the folder/share level and that's the recommended approach.

Can it be used for other things besides email or sharepoint? - There's really too much to post here. Please have a quick look at http://www.symantec.com/enterprise-vault