cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to create a new SMTP Target

mikeyAHksf
Level 2

We're testing SMTP archiving in a lab environment with EV 11.0.1 and Exchange 2010 SP3.

EV is working correctly with Exchange Journal Mailbox journaling howver, when I prepare to configure SMTP journaling, I get the following error when I try to create a new SMTP Target Email Address under the "Targets" configuration in the VAC.

"Failed to connect to Admin Service on myServerName - Check that the Admin Service is running and that the computer is reachable on the network"

Well, I did check the Admin Service - it is running. Stop and restarting does not help either. No event logs are being generated.

Anyone else seen this and gotten past it?

7 REPLIES 7

CConsult
Partner    VIP   

Is the Admin Task running with the ev-service account?

Iam personally not a friend of SMTP archiving. I would reroute the SMTP traficc through the Exchange if possible.

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

SMTP archiving, especially from Exchange 2013 or higher is the way to go. Performance is LOTS better. (I heard that some company is Journal Archiving about 5.000.000 with only 3 (three!) smtp archving servers).

As for the error, are you logged in with the VSA when configuring? Try that.

Regards. Gertjan

CConsult
Partner    VIP   

Yes it is faster, because less is being transferred.

Like Folder structure, headers, timestamps which is important for investigations

also it archives spam.And it is less secure.

Keep in mind SMTP was never redesigned since 1982.

GertjanA

off-topic. The only thing not transferred is MAPI properties. For journaling, which folder structure? Journaling by default only uses the inbox., and EV works that one. As for secure, have you had a look at the latest SMTP whitepaper? That covers almost everything. And, although not redesigned, it is stable, fast and works. Afterall anyone sending mails uses smtp.... Exchange, O365, GMail etc,

You can customize to have headers added, timestamps ARE archived, and searchable using DA. Otherwise it would be pretty useless.

Maybe we should open a new topic, asking for experiences with SMTP archiving.

Regards. Gertjan

mikeyAHksf
Level 2

Yes, the VSA account runs the admin service and I am logged into the VSA account when working with EV. Odd thing is that this is not generating any event viewer reports and nothing in the KB addresses this. I will now try to dtrace this.

mikeyAHksf
Level 2

DTrace produced nothing so I decided to reinstall EV as this is a fresh lab. Well - now the SMTP tasks can be accessed. Go figure.

So for anyone with this issue - give reinstallation a go.

GertjanA

Hello Mikey,

Good find. Can you mark an entry as solution?

Thanks.

Regards. Gertjan