cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgradation From Enterprise Vault 2007 SP2 to Enterprise Vault 8.0 SP4

Mandar_Bhosale
Not applicable
In my setup we are having Exchange 2007 with CCR. We are currently using EV 2007 for email archiving. Now we want to move to EV 8.0 SP4 but it should not be inplace upgrade to avoid downtime. We want to implement fresh EV 8.0 with SP4 and then move all users vault stores from EV 2007 to Ev 8.0 . For this I have following queries. 1) Is is possible to install EV 8.0 on same site as of EV 2007 ? 2) How we can move vault stores from Ev 2007 to Ev 8.0 without affecting client connectivity ? 3) How we should proceed with indexing on new server ? 4) How we can migrate SQL data from old SQL 2005 to SQL 2008 server with same scenario as of EV ? 5) How we can upgrade Exchange Conenctor for EV 2007 on CAS serevr to new version of plug-in of Ev 8.0? 5) If we need to take downtime how much shold I ask for this activity? Thanks in advance.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Because all the EV Servers in a Site share one directory database.  It is documented in the Upgrade_Instructions.chm/pdf under the Installing on multiple servers section.

Regards

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

TonySterling

1) Is is possible to install EV 8.0 on same site as of EV 2007 ?--No

2) How we can move vault stores from Ev 2007 to Ev 8.0 without affecting client connectivity ?--you would need to use a third party utility like EV Tools Archive Shuttle

3) How we should proceed with indexing on new server ? --Indexing would occur as the ingestion of the moved archive is occurring

4) How we can migrate SQL data from old SQL 2005 to SQL 2008 server with same scenario as of EV ? --It is quite easy to move sql databases, see the following technote.  http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/273272.htm

5) How we can upgrade Exchange Conenctor for EV 2007 on CAS serevr to new version of plug-in of Ev 8.0?--You will need to follow the steps in the Setting up Exchange Server Archiving pdf to set up OWA. 

5) If we need to take downtime how much shold I ask for this activity?--how many EV Servers do you have?

Personally, I would not try and go the route you are taking.  I would do an inplace upgrade during a maintenance window when EV can be offline for a bit.  If you only have 1 or 2 servers it will not take long at all normally.

Mohawk_Marvin
Level 6
Partner

I would....
Build my new shiny server, perform a data only DR to this new tin. Then upgrade the new tin.

This way you keep all user data seamlessly. You do not need a 3rd party tool, such as Procedo or TransVault (sorry Tony couldnt resist).

This way everything stays inside EV realms as opposed to adding cost to your process.

djln
Level 2
In regards to the first question, if updating from version 7 to 8 and if using multiple servers, can I update on a rolling basis (say, one server at a time) so that my entire system does not have to go offline?

TonySterling

No, all the servers need upgraded at one time.

Regards,

djln
Level 2
Why would it be that the upgrade couldn't be done one server at a time?

TonySterling

Because all the EV Servers in a Site share one directory database.  It is documented in the Upgrade_Instructions.chm/pdf under the Installing on multiple servers section.

Regards