cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade EV and Move AD Domain

SYM-AJ
Level 5

I am planning both an EV11 to EV12 upgrade and am also required to move the EV servers to a new AD domain.

I have the details on moving EV servers between domains (whitepaper) and am OK with that.

When it comes to the EV upgrade I plan on first moving the databases to a new SQL2K14 server, then using the Server Migration Tool to move from 11.0.1 on W2K8R2 to 12.0 on W2K12R2 - then upgrade to 12.1.

My question is relating to the best way to achieve all of this with the least risk. 

EV Environment Upgrade:

1. Spin up new SQL server with W2K12R2 and SQL2K14

2. Migrate databases to new server

3. SQL pre-reqs are now met.

4. Spin up 2 new W2K12R2 EV servers

5. Use EV Server Migration Tool to migrate EV servers from W2K8R2 / EV11.0.1 to EV12 on new servers

6. Upgrade new EV12 servers to EV12.1

Regarding the AD Domain move, would it be preferable to move the environment accross domains prior to the upgrade or after the upgrade ?  Or - is their a way to combine the 2 without introducing too much risk ?

Any input welcome,

AJ

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello AJ,

I would definitely not do the 2 in 1 go. Either upgrade EV then move, or move, then upgrade. IT is my strong believe you need to seperate these steps out, to ease troubleshooting if necessary.

I personally would move the environment to the new domain, to get the most cumbersome step out of the way before the upgrade. I've moved domain once, without issues. Upgrading should be easy...

Regards. Gertjan

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello AJ,

I would definitely not do the 2 in 1 go. Either upgrade EV then move, or move, then upgrade. IT is my strong believe you need to seperate these steps out, to ease troubleshooting if necessary.

I personally would move the environment to the new domain, to get the most cumbersome step out of the way before the upgrade. I've moved domain once, without issues. Upgrading should be easy...

Regards. Gertjan

My feeling too.....

Thanks,

AJ.