cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User shared email folders not entire mailbox, member users cannot retrieve from archive

CGCI
Level 4

I have a user who prior to EV had shared certain mailbox folders of thiers with staff.  Now that we have implemented EV with archving / shortcutting of message that are 3 months or older, users cannot retrieve any archived messages in those shared folders since EV doesn't see them as having access to the mailbox.  Any ideas how to resolve?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

What do you have set for Synchronize folder permissions?

Synchronize folder permissions

Description

Controls whether synchronization of delegate and shared folder permissions within mailboxes are synchronized. If these are not synchronized, only mailbox owners have access to the corresponding archives. For example, this prevents delegates, from having access to mailbox archives.

Supported values

• Off. Folder permissions are not synchronized.

• On (default). Folder permissions are synchronized.

Legacy name

SynchronizeFolderPermissions

See Exchange mailbox policy advanced settings

Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO37219

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

LCT
Level 6
Accredited Certified

the user who shared their mailbox - folders to their staff will also need to grant permissions to their staff on that user's archive. This will allow the staff to access the archived message for the user archive. On the EV admin console expand to archives and find the user's archive then go to the permissions tab then add all the users with allow permissions.

If you are using exchange 2007/2010 check the managed folders stuff too:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO37629

Hope that helps.

TonySterling

What do you have set for Synchronize folder permissions?

Synchronize folder permissions

Description

Controls whether synchronization of delegate and shared folder permissions within mailboxes are synchronized. If these are not synchronized, only mailbox owners have access to the corresponding archives. For example, this prevents delegates, from having access to mailbox archives.

Supported values

• Off. Folder permissions are not synchronized.

• On (default). Folder permissions are synchronized.

Legacy name

SynchronizeFolderPermissions

See Exchange mailbox policy advanced settings

Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO37219

CGCI
Level 4

Tony, where do I find these settings? 

TonySterling

Look on the Exchange Mailbox Policy on the Advanced Tab. 

CGCI
Level 4

It is set to "on".  I was hoping it was off!!  Assuming this would resolve the issue.

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Well On is what you want, as the user has shared only a specific folder and not the entire mailbox
i'm pretty sure the user has probably overstepped and given the delegate Reviewer rights at the mailbox root

Check using PermissionsBrowser.exe and also look in Outlook itself

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

CGCI
Level 4

I just checked permissionsBrowser.exe and see that the user needing access is not properly given acces while the rest of the manager's team does seem to be there.  So what I'm thinking happened is she gave the users access in outlook after her mailbox was initially enabled in EV.  How do I force a resync of the permissions?  Although I thought this was part of the of the syncronization within the mailbox task?

KarlW
Level 6
Employee

Folder permissions are synchronized during the archiving task scheduled run (not by synchronization - this is so sync doesn't have to trawl the whole mailbox).  You can force a re-sync on the synchronization tab of the archiving task properties (make sure you tick 'Folder hierarchy and permissions').

What permission does the user have on the folder in Outlook?  EV maps specific OL/Exchange folder permissions to the EV permissions - so for example as to get Read in EV the folder permission must be at least Reviewer.

Cheers

Karl