cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using CIFS share caveats and best practice for EV Vault Store

John_Santana
Level 6

Hi Folks,

Can anyone here please share me the knowledge or your story in designing and deploying the EV server in your company to supports large data growth bigger than 20 TB ?

My current storage array is EMC VNX which can provision both block Storage Group and also file level CIFS share.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sortid
Level 6

I went to use CIFS a couple of years ago on a VNX as I liked the idea of the partitions being more easily transportable (works well with building blocks), plus built-in replication was attractive.  Would only use for partitions, not indexes though.  Unfortunately, we couldn't use in production as we didn't have 10Gb available, and we couldn't use ether channel to trunk the 1Gb ports.  So we maintained block storage for about 80TB of partitions. 

Currently setting up EV storage at another site, but is VMware based and block only, no CIFS available.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Sortid
Level 6

I went to use CIFS a couple of years ago on a VNX as I liked the idea of the partitions being more easily transportable (works well with building blocks), plus built-in replication was attractive.  Would only use for partitions, not indexes though.  Unfortunately, we couldn't use in production as we didn't have 10Gb available, and we couldn't use ether channel to trunk the 1Gb ports.  So we maintained block storage for about 80TB of partitions. 

Currently setting up EV storage at another site, but is VMware based and block only, no CIFS available.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

@John, did you get what you need from this post, or do you need more assistance?

Working for cloudficient.com

John_Santana
Level 6

Sortid,

So did you end up with using the CIFS share as the EV VaultStore or just provision another native RDM LUNs to the EV virtual machine ?

Because at the moment the Physical RDM on the array is very hard to manage.