cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Enterprise Vault Migration Wizard to Upgrade MCS 2003 32bit 2-node cluster

Fremont
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Using EV Migration Wizard to Upgrade Windows 2003 32bit 2-node Microsoft cluster from EV9.0.1 to EV10.0.4 on win2012 R2 2-node Microsoft cluster.

EV10.0.4 installed on both new nodes - config not run.

Can I run the migration wizard on both old nodes (active and passive) individually and generate 2 migration packages which would then be imported to the new active and passive nodes respectively?

Or, do I generate one migration package from the active node only, import it to the new active node and later use the EV config wizard to add the passive node to the EV cluster?

Anyone done it before?

Thanks,

Fremont

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

AFAIK you will create a package for each server in the cluster in import it to its respective replacement.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

AFAIK you will create a package for each server in the cluster in import it to its respective replacement.

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Aziz_K
Level 3
Partner Accredited

I did not have good luck from going 9.0.1 to 10.0.4. Are you getting db script error during import session?  I would perfrom inplace upgrade  from 9.0.1 to 9.0.4 on both nodes, then run the migration wizard package.

Fremont
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Thanks guys.  Will be running it tonight and will update.

Fremont
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Ran the migration.  Had a few gotchas:

•  The PST_Temp folder, configured on the PST Migrator Task, needs to be on a local drive with UNC path.  It was was pointing to a path that included a hidden root share on the old server.  On 2012 cluster the shared cluster disks are already using the hidden root shares, and since we were using the same letter, couldn't create a second hidden share in Windows Explorer, so the wizard was failing saying it needs the folder to be on a local share...  Had to go back, delete the PST Migrator task migration and re-export.  This time it went through.
  • Import on active node went through without a hitch,
  •  
  • Import on passive node would not go through - complaining that the host is a cluster but the target is not... even though it was passive cluster node... weird.  Tried a few times, finally it was getting late and decided to upgrade the successfully mirated active node.
  •  
  • Tried to start directory service on active node, but it owuld not start.  It would fail.  No errors anywhere, not even dtrace.  After reading posts on this forum, realized a lot of people had simialr issues with 2012 cluster which were solved by reinstalling EV binaries.  Did that, rebooted, and bingo! AStarted services one by one with successfull upgrades of corresponding DB's. 
  •  
  • So now we have an active node fully configured, but need to work on the passive node tomorrow.

Thanks,

Fremont

Fremont
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Tried running the passive package on the passive node - wizard comes back with error on the first page, 3rd item: vault service account is not configured...

Not sure what it means as the service account is configured and the active node is up and running.

Tried also to run the EV config wizard - getting error reading from SQL.

Wondering if the fact that the directory DB is now on 10.0.4, the package may still be referencing items in the original 9.0.1 format.

If that is the case, may need to remove the entries to server manually from Directory DB and try to add passive node via EV config.

Fremont
Level 5
Partner Accredited

The problem were were seeing was the exactly the same as here: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/symantec-enterprise-vault-1001-cluster-setup

It was solved by uninstalling EV binaries from the passive node and then reinstalling them.

This time I did not use the migration wizard.  Since the active node was already configured and up and running successfully, there isn't much to configure in the passive node.  I ran the EV config wizard and selected "add passive node", entered the name of the EV cluster resource and that's it.

So summing up the experience for 2012 2-node Microsoft Cluster for EV9.0.1 to EV10.0.4 upgrade direct:

1. You can run the migration wizard on both active and passive nodes and generate migration packages per server.  You can then import them individually.  The important one is the active node package.  Once that;s imported and configured you can start the services in order and finish the upgrade.  The passive package van be impoorted any time.  You can also run EV config and select configure passive node - that will do it without the migration package being needed.

2. I had to reinstall EV on the active node after importing the pacakge as the directory service was not starting.  After reinstall Directory and all services started fine.

3. I had also to uninstall EV rom the passive node and reinstall it as gthe migration package was erroring out and I was getting errors when trying to run EV Config instead.  After reinstall ran EV config with no problems.